Is 169 miles in one day realistic!?

Can it be done by first time rids riders!?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i voted yes, and i did it, well 168 tbh in 14 hours, and i needed a wekk to recover, so it can be done but not by everybody, i allways have been a stubborn bugger, oh i had headwinds and heavey rain for 9 of those hours and it wasent pleasant

icky

gone pedlin
Its a big ask a constant 15mph for 13 hours for an experienced rider would be a chore but for a beginner its s tall order but good luck with it and keep us informed with your progress

I'd say go for it but test the waters with a few century rides leading up to it. See how you feel. If you get to 80 miles and start to see a light at the end of the tunnel then perhaps doubling that mileage will be a step too far come April. Only your body can tell you what it's capable of. A strong mind can get you 80% of the way there.

As for mechanicals, well i set off with a few club mates for an entertaining 165mile 9000ft ride mid summer and 3 miles in we had 2 punctures and one chain snapped. You just cannot account for what might happen over a full days cycling. So much can happen. For that reason i would allow lots of time, just in case, and bring some spares that you might not normally bring - a spare tyre or two being top of the list. 100 miles into a ride and someone slashes a sidewall to bits is a serious problem if a decent repair can't be made. Try to prepare for for most eventualities.

Edit: Actually it was only 162.5 miles according to my Garmin. 11000ft+ elevation though not 9000ft. It felt like it too. If memory serves right there were 2 or 3 stops for lunch and coffee etc. A few other stops waiting for a straggler or two which again you can't account for.
Here's the ride if interested:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/345538884

Good luck.

Ps, for the love of God use chamois cream.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
That and a leather backside! :laugh:
The leather saddle takes care of that!!

Another thing, I wouldn't worry overly about time. I suffer from the @arallsopp quotient which means every ride I plan will take two hours longer than I expect it to. Make sure you have lights and just keep going. FWIW if I think I'm going to be riding in the dark, I like to do the dark bit at the beginning of the ride if possible so set off earlier but that's just personal preference.

The leather saddle takes care of that!!

Another thing, I wouldn't worry overly about time. I suffer from the @arallsopp quotient which means every ride I plan will take two hours longer than I expect it to. Make sure you have lights and just keep going. FWIW if I think I'm going to be riding in the dark, I like to do the dark bit at the beginning of the ride if possible so set off earlier but that's just personal preference.
A brooks i gather?

martint235

Dog on a bike
A brooks i gather?
No. I have had a couple of Brooks (one still on the commuter) but on the distance bike is a Spa Cycles Aire. Thicker leather than a Brooks and it doesn't creak unlike a Brooks.

david k

Hi
Hi we are planning a ride Easter Sunday, this is our plan, can anyone offer advice !!

Glouc (gl12tf) to Chelt (gl519fd) = 8.6miles = 40 mins
Chelt (gl519fd) to Worc (wr38hp) = 25miles = 1hr 45
Worc (wr38hp) to Hereford (hr49sb) = 28miles = 2hr
Hereford (hr49sb) to Newport (np194qt) = 45miles = 3hrs
Newport (np194qt) to Cardiff (cf241pq) = 10.2miles = 50mins
Cardiff (cf241pq) to Bridgend (cf313xx) = 20.4miles = 1hr 40
Bridgend (cf313xx) to Swansea (sa54ba) = 20.4miles = 1hr 50
Swansea (sa54ba) to Llanelli (sa129uz) = 9miles = 45mins

Total Miles= 166.6
Average Speed 15mph = 11hrs 8min cycle time (excl stops)

Working on basis you have 5-10min snack stop every hour (fluids / energy) and 15-20min break every 3rd hour for carb snack

8x 10min breaks
X3 20min breaks

2hrs 20mins

Total journey time:

13.5hrs

Depart- 06:00
Arrive - 19:30

Id love to even try it! I fear Id fail by 116 miles :sad:

marcusjb

I've sort of ignored the poll - makes little sense - are we talking about the first time someone ever gets on a bike? Unlikely they will do it in that case.

But, we're in Novevember and the OP is talking about a ride in April - totally possible for someone with mental fortitude and a decent approach to winter training. Long day out in the saddle, that's all.

Linford

Averaging 15mph over that distance, over that terrain, with those breaks with 4 1/2 months to get up to it....no, you won't be able to achieve this brief in the timescale.
Not wanting to be negative, but you want to do some training to build up to it, come out with me on a saturday or sunday (I'm in Cheltenham), and you will see the difference between what you are hoping to achieve, and what you can actually do in a few hours, and then see how you feel afterwards.
I'd not attempt it in that timescale, and my normal ride is up to seven springs. It is something you would need a couple of years to build up to...as well as having little else in your life to occupy your days.

Koga

I note the OP Jkgillespie1 has not responded, so what is the point debating this any further.
There is simply not enough info to contribute to this post as we don't know: age, experience, cycle fitness level, type of bicycle, eventual medical conditions etc.

Top Bottom