Is a bread free diet pointless if you keep at the spuds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennydorano

Veteran
Giving up on bread for a while with the target of losing some weight (no other health reason for it). If say, I still have one main meal per day of Potatoes, Pasta or Rice is it wasted effort or is there still a good chance of weight loss??

yello

Put it this way, there's a better chance of weight loss if you cut the spuds and pasta too. But cutting out the bread would be a good 'bang for buck' start. Though without looking at your diet in it's entirety, it is difficult to know.

You could start with just cutting out the bread and then if that doesn't give the results you want, cut out the other carbs/starch. Loosing weight can be trial and error.

jim55

Guru
yeah ,,bread is just carbs as is pasta theres very little protein in either ,,so ud do better if u cut both out ,,but you do need some or ul have no get up and go at all,,reduction of anything is better than nothing ,,its overall calories that u should b interested in ,,lose weight ===eat less than u need ,,,:thumbsup:

amaferanga

Veteran
Why not just eat a bit less bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. each day? I'd have thought that'd be more sustainable than cutting out something like bread completely.

And maybe switch to wholemeal everything and sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes if you haven't already (this won't necessarily lead to you consuming fewer calories of course).

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
I've other dietary irons in the fire, this is another facet. I could never go on a full 'Atkins'. I do eat a ridiculous amount of bread some days, so I'd like to think there could be a signicant weight loss if I dont go mad on the other carb staples.

Edge705

Giving up on bread for a while with the target of losing some weight (no other health reason for it). If say, I still have one main meal per day of Potatoes, Pasta or Rice is it wasted effort or is there still a good chance of weight loss??

No need to stop eating bread just cut back there are plenty of healthy wheight loss diets for cycling most of which contain a slice of wholemeal toast cutting back on carbs will help but its not the answer the wheight 'll just come back - I would never advocate a diet to anyone Im far from qualified to to that but what I have learnt is if you combine the rright balance your less likely to put wheigh on fast, more likely to stableise, and providing you exercise (cycle) more likely to lose wheight. What I mean by balancing is protein/carb intake so for example in simple terms if you have a biscuit with a cup of tea and you want another biscuit - ditch another biscuit for a yoghurt or slice of cheese (light cheese such as feta not cheddar or high fat cheeses) If you crave sugar have some cereal with milk ideal protein carb balance

However I agree in keeping your bread intake to a minimum its a stodge - As for potatoes swap for sweet potatoes (roasted) hmmm lovely.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Keep eating good healthy bread because it's a good source of fibre, vitamins and long-term energy. Eat it with a little real butter and it won't do you any harm - but avoid marge and spreads as hydrogenated vegetable oils have a tendency to settle as fat inside the body cavity.

But cut out pasta, spuds and rice as you really don't need them with your meal. Last year I was on a 2-week business trip and was planning a 68 mile race on the final day so as I was eating in restaurants every night I simply ordered fish and meat with salad and the weight dropped off me. Curiously I also had a strange buttery fatty taste in my mouth, which, apparently was a by-product of my body consuming stored fat.

Enigma2008

Über Member
Eat or don't eat whatever type of food you decide but the simple fact is calories in versus calories out is the equation to keep in mind. To lose weight it really doesn't matter what type of food you do (or don't) eat if there are more calories being burned off than consumed. Simples!

Every diet from around the world has a "staple" in it that provides most of the carbs you need, that can be rice, spuds, pasta, cracked wheat etc etc or as was and still is the case in a lot of europe - bread.

If your meals already have carbs in them in the form of spuds/rice/pasta then why are you eating bread on top of that?

One of them has to go or you have to reduce your intake of both, it's not the fact that you are eating bread it's simply the fact you are scoffing too many carbs.

I know that for some people, especialy if there has been a working class background, that rounds of bread with every meal is an old habbit picked up from previous generations but you really don't bread added to every meal of a modern diet.

Garz

Squat Member
I think the latest fad is to be anti-carbs however for an endurance based sport it's not really the answer. Your better off tapering the carb intake to reduce some weight (short term) but still eat enough for energy requirements. Cutting out the carbs is being too severe.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The benefit in cutting out bread from your diet is that it prevent's the temptation to snack on sandwiches (or does in my case). Nutritionally I'm not sure what difference it would make in isolation, but I find not having any bread and therefore not having the option of making a sarnie when I feel a little hungry is helpful.

brockers

The benefit in cutting out bread from your diet is that it prevent's the temptation to snack on sandwiches (or does in my case). Nutritionally I'm not sure what difference it would make in isolation, but I find not having any bread and therefore not having the option of making a sarnie when I feel a little hungry is helpful.

Bang on. I more or less gave up bread last year having tried to lose those last five pounds for a few years to no avail. Having no bread in the house means not being able to cheat on your diet, as it's so easy to knock up a big fat late night cheese sarnie when you're bored and which you conveniently leave out of your calorie count. So I finally got down to a no bread-assisted, nine and a half stone last year without killing myself with too much of that sweaty exercise nonsense either! (Back up to ten now, though. Bloody Christmas etc)

Top Bottom