Is a bread free diet pointless if you keep at the spuds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Eat or don't eat whatever type of food you decide but the simple fact is calories in versus calories out is the equation to keep in mind. To lose weight it really doesn't matter what type of food you do (or don't) eat if there are more calories being burned off than consumed. Simples!

I disagree. I've said so before and I'll say so again. It is too simplistic a view to say that weight loss is simply 'calories in v calories out'.

Simple calorie counting is becoming out moded and there are people these days looking at how the different food types (carb, fat, protein) are stored by the body. It seems not all calories are equal, and (say) 200 calories of carb is more likely to lead to lead to weight gain than 200 calories of protein. (I use that to illustrate the thinking, it may or may not be true).

broomwagon

I know that for some people, especialy if there has been a working class background, that rounds of bread with every meal is an old habbit picked up from previous generations but you really don't need bread added to every meal of a modern diet.

I'd agree with that. I stopped doing exactly that a while ago. I was having a couple of rounds with my tea and it was just habit. My lad's a sports scientist, so on a visit and while having lunch he must have been watching what I was eating and mentioned it to me. I still have a round or two of bread throughout the week but no where near like the amount I used to have

col

Legendary Member
Cut out all fat in your diet and you will lose weight quicker than you think. Iv done this and lost two stone in three months without trying. Its the diet bodybuilders use to rip up for a competition. Ill pm you a list of foods if you want, eat as much as you like and lose. My best result was three quarters of a stone in 11 days.

amaferanga

Veteran
I disagree. I've said so before and I'll say so again. It is too simplistic a view to say that weight loss is simply 'calories in v calories out'.

Simple calorie counting is becoming out moded and there are people these days looking at how the different food types (carb, fat, protein) are stored by the body. It seems not all calories are equal, and (say) 200 calories of carb is more likely to lead to lead to weight gain than 200 calories of protein. (I use that to illustrate the thinking, it may or may not be true).

If you're doing exercise then calorie timing is one of the most important things with regards how the calories are used. So all you've got to do is eat the right quantities if the right things at the right time :thumbsup:

Garz

Squat Member
Ill pm you a list of foods if you want, eat as much as you like and lose. My best result was three quarters of a stone in 11 days.

3/4 of a stone in 11 days is not a healthy weight loss amount over a short period of time (unless you competed in a marathon or similar during this time). 1-2 lbs per week is optimum as gradual weight loss tends to stay off (backed up by studies). The bodybuilders do it to win the competition and their bodyfat drops t o dangerous levels leading to cramping and probably other unhealthy side effects. I would not recommend this. :headshake:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The bodybuilders do it to win the competition and their bodyfat drops to dangerous levels leading to cramping and probably other unhealthy side effects.
I have a mate who used to be a bodybuilder. He told me how he used to starve himself before competitions and even deliberately dehydrate himself so he'd end up with tiny body fat levels, and transparent skin to show off his veins and muscles. His body looked enormously powerful, but he told me that he'd be so weak on competition day that he would just have enough energy to go on stage and do the poses, then he'd go backstage and basically black out - that sure didn't sound healthy to me! :wacko:

jim55

Guru
the stuff that people are posting here (calorie timing and things )is advanced stuff and may or may not work ,,what i KNOW and loadsa personal trainers /dieticians etc is that calories in v calories out works ,,thats a fact ,,while a bit simplistic it works as intended

col

Legendary Member
3/4 of a stone in 11 days is not a healthy weight loss amount over a short period of time (unless you competed in a marathon or similar during this time). 1-2 lbs per week is optimum as gradual weight loss tends to stay off (backed up by studies). The bodybuilders do it to win the competition and their bodyfat drops t o dangerous levels leading to cramping and probably other unhealthy side effects. I would not recommend this. :headshake:
This is a misconception, you get plenty of protien and carbs as well as fruit and veg too, and you take it as far as you want. Im not competeing, but Im fat, so need to shift another couple of stones and ill be happy, on this diet where you eat as much as you need to feel full, it comes off safely.

col

Legendary Member
I have a mate who used to be a bodybuilder. He told me how he used to starve himself before competitions and even deliberately dehydrate himself so he'd end up with tiny body fat levels, and transparent skin to show off his veins and muscles. His body looked enormously powerful, but he told me that he'd be so weak on competition day that he would just have enough energy to go on stage and do the poses, then he'd go backstage and basically black out - that sure didn't sound healthy to me! :wacko:
Yes this is the extreme for competition, but that takes what im talking about to the next level. What Im doing is relatively mild compared to that.

col

Legendary Member
I forgot to add, when I lost this it was while driving for ten hours a day and doing nothing else too, it was my first loss when I started doing it. But do it properly and safely and an average of 4 to 7 pounds can be lost weekly. After a couple of weeks you will hit a sticking point though, its your body trying to hold onto body fat, as it isnt getting fat from another source. But stick with it and it will start shifting again.

Garz

Squat Member
This is a misconception, you get plenty of protien and carbs as well as fruit and veg too, and you take it as far as you want. Im not competeing, but Im fat, so need to shift another couple of stones and ill be happy, on this diet where you eat as much as you need to feel full, it comes off safely.

I used to be into weights when I was a teenager and read all the top mags like Muscle & Fitness. When you speak to the levels that people really goto to compete you start to understand that there's looking good but actually being healthy and a good weight are different. My background was Biology and PE and researched quite a lot whilst accumulating my own take on training.

I may not have been a Dorian Yates but I know enough for it to not be a misconception. Encouraging strangers on a forum to follow a bodybuilders guide to dehydration is not what I would call sensible weight loss... :hungry:

If it works for you then bravo! :bravo:

Camrider

Don't see the point of cutting out any of those things totally, just don't snack on high carb products between main meals especially if like me you midnight toast was accompanied by hefty chunks of cheese.

If you you going to cut anything totally then it should be stuff full of saturated fat. I do miss my cheese but not the extra 28kg of lard I was carrying around. this time last year.

col

Legendary Member
I used to be into weights when I was a teenager and read all the top mags like Muscle & Fitness. When you speak to the levels that people really goto to compete you start to understand that there's looking good but actually being healthy and a good weight are different. My background was Biology and PE and researched quite a lot whilst accumulating my own take on training.

I may not have been a Dorian Yates but I know enough for it to not be a misconception. Encouraging strangers on a forum to follow a bodybuilders guide to dehydration is not what I would call sensible weight loss... :hungry:

If it works for you then bravo! :bravo:
MMmm you seem to be missreading my post, as Iv never said anything about dehydration. only about protien, carbs and fruit and veg. where did you get the idea that I want to dehydrate ?

col

Legendary Member
Don't see the point of cutting out any of those things totally, just don't snack on high carb products between main meals especially if like me you midnight toast was accompanied by hefty chunks of cheese.

If you you going to cut anything totally then it should be stuff full of saturated fat. I do miss my cheese but not the extra 28kg of lard I was carrying around. this time last year.
Thats all my diet is, cutting out fat, it works and can be very healthy too.

Top Bottom