Is a bread free diet pointless if you keep at the spuds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
MMmm you seem to be missreading my post, as Iv never said anything about dehydration. only about protien, carbs and fruit and veg. where did you get the idea that I want to dehydrate ?

Cut out all fat in your diet and you will lose weight quicker than you think. Iv done this and lost two stone in three months without trying. Its the diet bodybuilders use to rip up for a competition.

Maybe as I have some knowledge of this type of eating I was on a different wavelength to what you was suggesting.

col

Legendary Member
I used to be into weights when I was a teenager and read all the top mags like Muscle & Fitness. When you speak to the levels that people really goto to compete you start to understand that there's looking good but actually being healthy and a good weight are different. My background was Biology and PE and researched quite a lot whilst accumulating my own take on training.

I may not have been a Dorian Yates but I know enough for it to not be a misconception. Encouraging strangers on a forum to follow a bodybuilders guide to dehydration is not what I would call sensible weight loss... :hungry:

If it works for you then bravo! :bravo:
Just as a side note,seeing as you wanted to let us know about your sports history. my brother, step dad and myself have a combined 70 years of being gym intructors martail arts instructors and bodybuilding competitors, so have actually looked into this. And also trained with top bodybuilders over the years.My brother also trained with Dorian yates too, back in the days when my brother came second in the Mr north east britain and was invited to compete in the mr olympia. So Im not advocating the diet your mistakingly talking about. I would also say it isnt a sensible thing to do. But you dont actually know what my diet consists of do you? So in fact are just guessing and poo pooing it , with your mistaken idea of what it consists off.

col

Legendary Member
Maybe as I have some knowledge of this type of eating I was on a different wavelength to what you was suggesting.
I was actually saying to just cut all fat out of your diet, but because I added its what bodybuilders use to cut up, I can see why you may assume the dehydration route, sorry I should have been more specific.

yello

So all you've got to do is eat the right quantities if the right things at the right time
Yes, it's all so simple isn't it! :laugh:

Cut out all fat in your diet and you will lose weight quicker than you think. Iv done this and lost two stone in three months without trying

I remember back in the 80s I lost a few kilo following a low fat diet (as was the advice then). However, whether the weight loss was due to the low fat diet or not I don't know as I was also eating less generally and going to a gym several times a week.

As with most subjects, the thinking is changing pretty much constantly. People in positions of apparent knowledge (dieticians, gym instructors, etc) can give out the wrong advice too if they are not up to date. And that's if we put aside preference, pet theories and the fact there is conflicting advice (all research based) at any one time.

Clearly, as a simplistic statement 'burn more than you eat' (or 'calories in v calories out') IS correct. Actually it's a statement of the bleeding obvious if you think about it! But it's a blunt tool because it tells you nothing about the HOW. By finding out just a little about the processes involved then you can be a little clever about your weight loss campaign.

With all this diet advice around, it gets confusing! I think different things work for different people. It's a matter of experimenting to find out what works for you. I'm a lazy sod, I like to take the easy way wherever possible and so am not a fan of knocking myself out on a treadmill, but each to their own!

Camrider

Agreed, which is why I stipulated saturated fats not cutting out fat entirely (which is nearly impossible to do). I now avoid everything with a high saturated fat content but I don't spare the olive oil and eat plenty of oily fish so hopefully I'm not lacking any essential fats.

col

Legendary Member
Agreed, which is why I stipulated saturated fats not cutting out fat entirely (which is nearly impossible to do). I now avoid everything with a high saturated fat content but I don't spare the olive oil and eat plenty of oily fish so hopefully I'm not lacking any essential fats.
I use mackarel, now and then, but not olive oil.

col

Legendary Member
Yes, it's all so simple isn't it! :laugh:

I remember back in the 80s I lost a few kilo following a low fat diet (as was the advice then). However, whether the weight loss was due to the low fat diet or not I don't know as I was also eating less generally and going to a gym several times a week.

As with most subjects, the thinking is changing pretty much constantly. People in positions of apparent knowledge (dieticians, gym instructors, etc) can give out the wrong advice too if they are not up to date. And that's if we put aside preference, pet theories and the fact there is conflicting advice (all research based) at any one time.

Clearly, as a simplistic statement 'burn more than you eat' (or 'calories in v calories out') IS correct. Actually it's a statement of the bleeding obvious if you think about it! But it's a blunt tool because it tells you nothing about the HOW. By finding out just a little about the processes involved then you can be a little clever about your weight loss campaign.

With all this diet advice around, it gets confusing! I think different things work for different people. It's a matter of experimenting to find out what works for you. I'm a lazy sod, I like to take the easy way wherever possible and so am not a fan of knocking myself out on a treadmill, but each to their own!
I agree. Try it and see, simple as that really.

col

Legendary Member
No it isn't - bodies need essential fats, that's why they are called essential rather than optional!

If you want to quote bodybuilding lore, then take a look at bodybuilding.com's fat articles! :thumbsup:
Another one assuming wrongly. Im not quoting anything, Im doing a diet that works, and Im very healthy too. If you want to ask what my diet consists of before wrongly assuming, well it does happen a lot here, I would be glad to answer any of your questions.^_^

amaferanga

Veteran
Another one assuming wrongly. Im not quoting anything, Im doing a diet that works, and Im very healthy too. If you want to ask what my diet consists of before wrongly assuming, well it does happen a lot here, I would be glad to answer any of your questions.^_^

You said you completely cut out fat did you not?

Thats all my diet is, cutting out fat, it works and can be very healthy too.

I take that to mean no fat, as opposed to reducing fat, which could be perfectly healthy.

col

Legendary Member
You said you completely cut out fat did you not?

I take that to mean no fat, as opposed to reducing fat, which could be perfectly healthy.
A figure of speech, quiet a lot of it, in fact the formula is only eat things with 4.5 grams or less of fat per 100 grams.

Top Bottom