Is a lunchtime Sunday drink still a thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Today I was just thinking back and remember going almost every Sunday years back when I was in the UK to The Orange Tree in Totteridge Lane, North London for one.
Often Micky Most (remember him) used to turn up on his Harley and sometimes I would go on my humble Suzuki or Norton.
Any of you get the bike out for a trip to the pub or bar?

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sunday lunchtime drink is definitely a 'thing'.
As is Sunday lunch.
Currently in the White Lion :okay:

keithmac

Guru
I'm having one at home.

We used to do Sunday afternoons with work crew, was a lot better than Friday or Saturday nights!.

Seeing the state of people when I was riding home from work at 5pm last night in York you couldn't have paid me to go out..

I don't see why we have become pee up central..

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went down my local last Sunday afternoon. I rarely go to the place these days. I had 1 and a half pints in the 2 hours or so i was in. There was hardly anybody in and those that were either chatting on their phones or gawping at them. 30 years ago when me and the former Mrs Accy were first married we'd spend most of a Sunday afternoon in there (5 pints of Beck's was my usual amount:whistle:), then either go home, or go to my mum and dad's for tea (the pubs back then had to close for a couple of hours between the afternoon and evening sessions),then go back down the pub till the 10.30 closing time. The place was always busy, but times have changed and pubs aren't doing as well as they did in those days.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Sunday lunchtime drink is definitely a 'thing'.
As is Sunday lunch.
Currently in the White Lion :okay:
View attachment 603211

View attachment 603212
That used to be me minus the food.

Before all day opening we used to be in for one o'clock and have around five pints, then over to the off licence at three o'clock for some cans before settling down to watch The Big Match with Brian Moore.

It could be 4-3 after five minutes but you could guarantee that my F.I.L. (RIP) would be asleep within ten minutes.

Happy days, before all day opening spoilt it.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Today I was just thinking back and remember going almost every Sunday years back when I was in the UK to The Orange Tree in Totteridge Lane, North London for one.
Often Micky Most (remember him) used to turn up on his Harley and sometimes I would go on my humble Suzuki or Norton.
Any of you get the bike out for a trip to the pub or bar?
Yes mate, if you're buying it definitely is 🍻

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
What does seem to be popular around here now is Sunday afternoon karoke. It's not for me though! :stop: I walk passed pubs on Sunday afternoons and on hearing someone murdering 'Wind Beneath My Wings' i think 'god that song's shoot enough as it is,without you making it fecking worse'!!:unsure:

I can't let my wife anywhere near karaoke.

A couple of decades back we were celebrating New Year with another couple at a large Chinese restaurant near Bromley, Kent when she and the other girl in our little group decided to have a go.

It was late, quite a lot of booze had been consumed and off they toddled to the little stage and chose Madonna's Like a Virgin.

Obviously knowing my wife well I thought that this was going to be fun...

And it was.

All went well at first and then the good lady decides to launch into Meg Ryan's famous scene from When Harry Met Sally.

Although this was Meg Ryan on steroids.

Not knowing how this was going to go down with the audience I awaited the end of the 'turn' with some trepidation.

And, to my surprise, at the end the whole restaurant (70-80 covers plus staff) were on their feet clapping and whooping.

Bit of an extrovert is my wife.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've never been a fan of karaoke, all that screeching spoils a good night out.

I'll admit to raising a smile at it once though when my mother in law got up to sing Hey Big Spender, and my father in law immediately shouted, 'bloody hell it's burly chassis.' 😂

Top Bottom