Is a top end bike worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
True. Needs to be borne in mind though that you will be paying top wack for replacing worn bits. I don't know the bike (not my scene) but have the impression that many of the bits might be somewhat dedicated. Will there be continued availability? Be kind - as I say, just asking, I'm no racer.

Everyone's a racer. It's just that most of us don't get paid for it. :smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Looking to buy a top end bike and was wondering how/why people justify paying £5,000+ for a bike as I'm not yet fully decided.

Looking at an SWORKS Tarmac but doing a bit of internet research I note that Specialized seems to have end of year bike sales giving around 25% off which would probably swing it. Anyone know when the 2017 bikes are likely to be discounted to make way for the 2018 ones?
Thanks.

A fair bit of willy waving riding around a £5k bike I suspect. However if you really love bikes and can afford it why not? Right now I could not afford one ( car loans to clear first) but could I justify one absolutely! Would my better half understand no effin way lol ! However don't mix that up with it immediately turning you into some sort of super pro once riding it. For me it's more about style , engineering design. I ride what was a £ 3k bike and I can tell you it rides a hell of a lot better than my old giant road bike!

Necessity? Plus a good disposable income or savings that won't be missed should the rainy day be missed. Or in the case of top end bikes, a need to indulge in willy waving :whistle:
Presumably women can willy wave as well since it describes an attitude/human characteristic?

(Not accusing you, vick, don't know enough about your posts/track record)

What's the term for a woman indulging in the same non gender specific behaviour then?
Your question does not compute. The behaviour being spoken of *is* gender specific.

OP
OP
Ride2017

Ride2017

..... a need to indulge in willy waving :whistle:

As per my original question I'm leaning towards not spending that much but have to say I don't really notice what bikes people ride. It's not like turning up at your old school reunion in a Ferrari.

adamangler

Veteran
It's simply the law of diminishing returns. I would say a 300 quid 10kg entry level alloy road bike would be much better than old steel thing. A 1000 pound 8kg planet x or something similarge would likely feel a lot better still. Would a 5 grand 7kg race bike offer massive performance gains over the one at a grand? Nor really The more you spend on anything the more marginal the gains become.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is all down to your disposable income. I used to know guys whose kids could do with a few bob spent on them a rather than a new bike for the old fellow, that in my mind was so wrong. Which is why I used to know them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's simply the law of diminishing returns. I would say a 300 quid 10kg entry level alloy road bike would be much better than old steel thing. A 1000 pound 8kg planet x or something similarge would likely feel a lot better still. Would a 5 grand 7kg race bike offer massive performance gains over the one at a grand? Nor really The more you spend on anything the more marginal the gains become.
It's obvious you've never ridden a quality steel cycle.

Top Bottom