Is a top end bike worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
It's obvious you've never ridden a quality steel cycle.

I meant an old 1980s cheap heavy thing with down tube shifters and nasty narrow bars. I have one and it's awfull compared to a modern carbon bike or an alloy bike

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I meant an old 1980s cheap heavy thing with down tube shifters and nasty narrow bars. I have one and it's awfull compared to a modern carbon bike or an alloy bike
Lets see
  • 1980s build - check
  • Downtube shifters - check
  • Narrow Handlebars - yeah maybe
  • Reynolds 531c frame handbrazed in Worksop
Think I'll hang on to my Raleigh Road Ace for a bit longer. :becool: :bicycle:

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4690546, member: 9609"]I only have the one bike, late 80s steel frame with down the tube shifters and I have never really rode any other bikes. What would I notice in a high spec carbon bike, sure its going to be a bit lighter but probably no lighter than my variance in my own fat belly and I can't say I notice that very much. What would blow my socks off with a state of the art bike?[/QUOTE]

Go and try one. Certainly cheaper to lose a pound off the belly than a pound off of the bike though.

In my road bikes I have 653 steel, Ali with carbon forks and a full carbon. They are all nice bikes to ride.

Tin Pot

Guru
Looking to buy a top end bike and was wondering how/why people justify paying £5,000+ for a bike as I'm not yet fully decided.

maslow-pyramid.jpg

yes, used by many companies for entirely cynical reasons.

I would have thought that quoting that would argue against a really really top end bike for those who have no need to win the Tour/feel that they have to impress anyone.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think very few people buy a bike just to impress, I feel they do it because they can afford to.

A man on lot wiser than myself (not hard) told me people often do not like what they cannot afford and see no reason why those that can would waste their money on it. I was talking cars with but the lines stuck in my head.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 4690546, member: 9609"]I only have the one bike, late 80s steel frame with down the tube shifters and I have never really rode any other bikes. What would I notice in a high spec carbon bike, sure its going to be a bit lighter but probably no lighter than my variance in my own fat belly and I can't say I notice that very much. What would blow my socks off with a state of the art bike?[/QUOTE]
From experience, it would feel tighter and with less flex in it when you apply power which is really what carbon is all about: the lightest way to transfer the most power from the pedals to the road. However if you rode any distance on it, you'd also become, possibly painfully, aware of "road buzz" as the bike also transfers everything from the road to you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a goldilocks classification, isn't there.
  • Too cheap: Cheap bikes that really aren't worth riding. Anyone riding these is a fool who doesn't really appreciate bikes properly, and is fooling themselves that their bike is adequate.
  • Too expensive: These bikes are purely status symbols. Anyone riding these has all the gear and no idea, and pretentiously makes up spurious benefits.
  • Just right: My bike.

And just like the universe, we are each precisely at the centre.

Last edited:
I think very few people buy a bike just to impress, I feel they do it because they can afford to.

A man on lot wiser than myself (not hard) told me people often do not like what they cannot afford and see no reason why those that can would waste their money on it. I was talking cars with but the lines stuck in my head.
a certain truth in what you say but I was talking about super top end. And I think that there's little doubt that some folk buy stuff to impress/indulge in retail therapy, when they would be better off just getting in tune with the pastime they have chosen. Super top end stuff can also of course be more stressful/involve more maintenance, highly strung as it is. Not a problem for its intended use of course.

I think I can also, hand on heart, say that my two most expensive bikes are not my favourites. I should also point out that I'm not a racer so, personally, there are certain things I don't need.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
From experience, it would feel tighter and with less flex in it when you apply power which is really what carbon is all about: the lightest way to transfer the most power from the pedals to the road. However if you rode any distance on it, you'd also become, possibly painfully, aware of "road buzz" as the bike also transfers everything from the road to you.

I would disagree on the road buzz bit, the stiffness in a well designed bike is where it needs to be, the flex likewise. From experience of longish ride on most types of bike I say my carbon is a comfortable as all the other bikes i have owned.

That said what type of carbon do you ride?

Top Bottom