Is a top end bike worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
[QUOTE 4690546, member: 9609"]I only have the one bike, late 80s steel frame with down the tube shifters and I have never really rode any other bikes. What would I notice in a high spec carbon bike, sure its going to be a bit lighter but probably no lighter than my variance in my own fat belly and I can't say I notice that very much. What would blow my socks off with a state of the art bike?[/QUOTE]

Quite a lot I would think. Indexed shifting, being able to change gear without reaching down. My old steel bike doesn't have hoods to ride on, it's ride in the tops or the drops. The bars are too narrow. A carbon bike looks better, is lighter and more aero.

If you've only ride that type of bike them you don't know anything better to compare it to so of course you won't be bothered. My old alloy bike i thought was great until I upgraded to an aero carbon bike which is lighter, stiffer and just feels quicker besides being more visually appealing.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I would disagree on the road buzz bit, the stiffness in a well designed bike is where it needs to be, the flex likewise. From experience of longish ride on most types of bike I say my carbon is a comfortable as all the other bikes i have owned.

That said what type of carbon do you ride?
I'm comparing a 105 equipped £1k Giant carbon with a £1k Tiagra equipped Planet X steel and a £2k SRAM Red equipped Ti bike. I think the steel and the carbon are directly comparable and the comfort on the steel bike is noticeable

vickster

Legendary Member
A carbon bike looks better, is lighter and more aero...My old alloy bike i thought was great until I upgraded to an aero carbon bike which is lighter, stiffer and just feels quicker besides being more visually appealing to me.
FTFY...different people find different things visually appealing. Personally I think black carbon aero bikes are hideous super fugly things. I expect YMMV

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm comparing a 105 equipped £1k Giant carbon with a £1k Tiagra equipped Planet X steel and a £2k SRAM Red equipped Ti bike. I think the steel and the carbon are directly comparable and the comfort on the steel bike is noticeable
Bargain Ti...where do I get one new?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I see no problem with people spending 1k, 2k, 3k or 10k on a bike.......why you say?.... Cause its their money to spend on whatever they so wish. I spent my spare cash on property, no one battered an eye lid. But i bet they would if i spent it on cars, holidays or bikes.............

screenman

Legendary Member
I see no problem with people spending 1k, 2k, 3k or 10k on a bike.......why you say?.... Cause its their money to spend on whatever they so wish. I spent my spare cash on property, no one battered an eye lid. But i bet they would if i spent it on cars, holidays or bikes.............

Yeh but! you can sleep in a car, but you cannot drive a house^_^

martint235

Dog on a bike
FTFY...different people find different things visually appealing. Personally I think black carbon aero bikes are hideous super fugly things. I expect YMMV
Agreed. To me you can't beat straight chain and seat stays on a steel or Ti bike. My Ti unfortunately has slightly wishboned stays, still good to look at though

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Planet X. It's a rebadged Van Nich with Red levers, rear and front mech. Actual crank was FSA since replaced with 105. It's a lovely bike bought to do LEL on and is now my distance bike of choice
You can also get custom built Ti for 650 knicker.........just like i did

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I found the frame only option quite cost effective as i already had spare wheels ( i have lots of these ) Saddles , bars , pedals etc . all i had to really buy was a groupset .

Top Bottom