Is anyone else not following the TdF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I get asked a lot at the moment if I've been watching the Tour de France, and what I think of Froome's (or whoever's) performance and did I see this or that - and I have to admit that I haven't seen any of it and (although I put it politely) I don't care who's winning or losing.

Now I love riding bikes, I like riding fast including in a club, I like riding long distances and up big hills. I like reading and talking about other people's rides and looking at their bikes, but 'sport' per se just leaves me cold. I'm just not interested in the personalities or tribal rivalries involved. I had a nice day out last year to see the TdF near here and enjoyed watching that day's finish on a big screen with a big crowd, but by the next day I'd forgotten who the particular riders were.

So I'll just get on with riding, alone or sharing the experience with others. For me cycling is an activity, it's fun, it may be athletic but it's not about sport.

Anyone else feel like that?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are on your own son :hello:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
To be honest, I am following it... but I know what you're talking about... I love playing footy, for example, but I couldn't give a monkey's about the Premier League and all that..

Dave7

Legendary Member
I regularly play golf with a guy that doesn't cycle but last week he watched the Tour de France rather than the British Open from St. Andrews..........for various reasons e.g.
It was exciting
the scenery was spectacular
you have to appreciate the sheer effort those guys put in.
But "each to his own" and "one man's whatsit is another man's thingmajig" etc.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Fit blokes in lycra. What's not to like :tongue:

I love watching the cycling, have watched cycling on the TV since I was a kid. My Dad got me hooked and a couple of cyclist type boyfriends, back in the past kept the love of watching the cycling alive. I have now passed my small addiction on to Hubster who even watches the Crits.:okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was staying seven miles from Aubenas last Sunday and briefly wondered if I should wander down there to see part of Stage 15. My family said "why spend a day in a traffic jam to be part of a huge crowd that sees a few seconds of action, if you are lucky?". We went canoeing instead. It was the right decision.

lee1980sim

Not watching it here either, also keep getting asked (apparently Broome? had some urine thrown at him last week, I'm clueless) every time there's cycling on I get asked about it, even more annoying lately though is people who've decided due to all the recent press about British cycling they're going to dig out their old bikes and fetch it to work then keep pestering me to have a look at it as it's making noises hmmm

Top Bottom