Is anyone else not following the TdF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Dip in and out of the evenings Eurosport coverage. But not really fussed. As some one else described, it's like watching paint dry. Scenery's great though.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Between Eurosport and ITV4 it seems to be on round the clock, so as I'm currently awake for about 22hrs a day, yes I'm watching it. Loads of it. Sometimes the same highlights show 2 or 3 times. In fact I don't know what the hell I'm going to do next week.
I should point out that I've been watching more but following less since my brain is currently dribbling out of my ears. And Froome needs to stop complaining, being covered in urine is a pretty regular occurance for me atm.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm at work while the actual racing is on, and I aren't generally anywhere near a telly for the 7pm ITV4 highlights show which seems to get later appearing on the ITV Player (supposedly on as soon as the show finishes on the box..?), which combined with not having Eurosport makes it difficult to keep up with what's going on during the week. Plus if I can I like to sneak in a cheeky hour on the bike while it's still light enough to get out there.
On a weekend I'd generally rather be out on my own bike rather than watching it on the telly, but given Sundays weather forecast I might manage to watch it then. ;)

I do not understand this thread! We are talking about the most prestigious cycle race in the world and you are not interested!!
I do not own a television but make sure I am aware of every nuance of this great race.

P.S. How's Delgado doing?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
We're watching it, we basically lose all our evenings come July because we PVR and then watch the live ITV feed, occasionally fast forwarding a bit outside of the adverts, and then watch the top and tail of the highlights show where it is different.

Even more annoying lately though is people who've decided due to all the recent press about British cycling they're going to dig out their old bikes and fetch it to work then keep pestering me to have a look at it as it's making noises hmmm

Do what I do with computers, either say "no, I don't work on other peoples 'bikes'" or ask them if they've got a spare couple of hours to clean the grout in your shower/weed your garden. After all, anyone can mow a lawn.

mustang1

Guru
I usually have it on in the background because I love the scenery and its great tonsee all the colourful kits and bikes. I also have the volume pretty low, just a background murmur.

But this year I haven't been too bothered. When I get time, I'll watch the highlights at 7pm but even then I'm doing other stuff.

And I certainly don't have any heros in the tdf. I'd hate to have a skinny body like they do and matchstick arms. The sprinters OK but just like horse jockeys, its not my thing.

And I hate the stupid dumb music they've been playing for years whenever the advert comes on. Wish they'd change it. Same stupid music year after year.

Love those jaguar F-types though. Havent seen them this year ...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
On ITV the Skoda adverts are really starting to get to me. That wig appears from nowhere, I've gone through at 1/8th slow mo and nobody throws it in the air at any point. I don't know why the grey haired bloke is tutting at the short arse in front of him. And as for the guy in the bowler climbing the hill on his single speed. With those gear inches and that cadence he should be ripping up that incline, not slowing the way he does. It doesn't make sense. Grr.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I get asked a lot at the moment if I've been watching the Tour de France, and what I think of Froome's (or whoever's) performance and did I see this or that - and I have to admit that I haven't seen any of it and (although I put it politely) I don't care who's winning or losing.

Now I love riding bikes, I like riding fast including in a club, I like riding long distances and up big hills. I like reading and talking about other people's rides and looking at their bikes, but 'sport' per se just leaves me cold. I'm just not interested in the personalities or tribal rivalries involved. I had a nice day out last year to see the TdF near here and enjoyed watching that day's finish on a big screen with a big crowd, but by the next day I'd forgotten who the particular riders were.

So I'll just get on with riding, alone or sharing the experience with others. For me cycling is an activity, it's fun, it may be athletic but it's not about sport.

Anyone else feel like that?
I don't watch it. The only sports I love watching are the winter Olympics'; skiing, snowboarding, ice skating.....

postman

Legendary Member
I don't watch it. The only sports I love watching are the winter Olympics'; skiing, snowboarding, ice skating.....(Quote)

Nothing better than curling up the sofa and watching the colour of the whole spectacle.The mountain stages are just awesome.Now curling i can't get the idea of sliding a lid down a shiny floor, polishing it with a broom.

Top Bottom