Is anyone else struggling to get out on the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Commuting helps. As long I am dry getting to work I don't care too much about getting wet on the return leg. Hail isn't too pleasant though.:B)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sold our second car so I've no choice. Although if it's dangerous the wife will ferry me about.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I really can't motivate myself at the moment. Its been wet and horrible, today the sun was shining but by the time I had done 3 hours professional dog walking and then walked my own dogs it had got really cold. There is a slim chance that I might cycle down to the hospital to meet the OH but only if it stays above 3 degrees.
Sold our second car so I've no choice. Although if it's dangerous the wife will ferry me about.
We sold our second car yesterday which might well go a wee way in the motivation department.

TeeShot

Veteran
40 miles around Cheshire today. Cool and breezy with plenty of debris about after yesterday's gales. Overall pretty pleasant for February

I am seriously worried.
Can't ride during weekdays as it is too dark and cold in the morning and evenings. Can't ride over the weekend due to winds and rain. I am going on a cycling tour at the end of March, expected to cycle 40-50 miles a day. So I am seriously worried going on a tour with no recent experience of cycling.
Therefore I run, hoping that fitness will be enough to keep me pedalling during the tour.

BAtoo

Über Member
Sunday is looking positively balmy in Ipswich, sunny, 8'C, SW 15mph ! Might even be good enough for the new-to-me carbon N+1 ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm not obsessed enough/committed enough/daft enough (according to my own version of risk) to get out when there are high winds, heavy rain, fog or icy patches to contend with.

I also don't want tons of salt all over my bike and nor do I get any pleasure out of grit your teeth and slog your way through it situations.

Thus I am not getting out as much as I would like. Very little in fact.

Frustrating yes, but no doubt in the not too distant future all this bad weather will be a hazy memory and I will be furiously pedaling away up 1 in 4's with a grin on my face. There's possibly the odd untruth in that sentence. :ohmy:

I am seriously worried.
Can't ride during weekdays as it is too dark and cold in the morning and evenings. Can't ride over the weekend due to winds and rain. I am going on a cycling tour at the end of March, expected to cycle 40-50 miles a day. So I am seriously worried going on a tour with no recent experience of cycling.
Therefore I run, hoping that fitness will be enough to keep me pedalling during the tour.

I know how you feel, I'm signed up for the 3 cities at end of May 340 miles in 4 days, the icy winds mean I just can't get out as much as I would like, being going to spin classes and to the gym to build my fitness up. I don't mind getting wet but the winds are too fierce and freezing to get out as much as I would like.

BSRU

A Human Being
The weathers been quite good this year so far, a little too windy some days but no reason I can see to not cycle.
In the mornings I have the choice of a five minute drive or a 2+ hour ride, mostly in the dark, bike wins:thumbsup:.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Week before this worst week so far for me - only 23.4 miles, this week over 50 (I don't commute, and can ride during the day) I am well down on my target of 100 miles per week all year round, but it is February after all! It has been bad, and I have had to cancel a couple of organised rides, but it has been possible to get out on the bike in the gaps between the storms, and we have had some (short) periods of fine weather. I have only got really really soaked once this year. At least we haven't had much ice so far. :thumbsup:

compo

Veteran
I haven't done a great deal since last autumn, partly due to ill health partly due to idleness. I have done a few rides but nothing much or very far. As a consequence my weight has piled on. Now I prefer not to go out getting cold and wet. I am planning on doing the Dunwich Dynamo again this year so really must make an effort soon and begin to put some miles in.

Top Bottom