Is anyone else struggling to get out on the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
We're a bit more set up for rain up here so there is a lot of water around, but no significant flooding. The bridleways are rather messy but that's part of the fun. I've pretty much retreated off road for the last few weeks. If I'm going to get wet and muddy anyway then I might as well go and get properly muddy* :biggrin:

I'm getting a bit concerned though as I have a week long tour booked in mid-March and I hope the weather will calm down a bit before that.

*Also in the winds we're getting I figured that wide flat bars would give me more control than the drops.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I'm not finding it easy to get out for decent rides just now, though I have had a nice 40 miler and a cheeky near midnight night ride. Hopefully I can commute on sunday and take the long way back..

I just find cycling in a storm to be a bit un-appealing.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We're a bit more set up for rain up here so there is a lot of water around, but no significant flooding. The bridleways are rather messy but that's part of the fun. I've pretty much retreated off road for the last few weeks. If I'm going to get wet and muddy anyway then I might as well go and get properly muddy* :biggrin:

I'm getting a bit concerned though as I have a week long tour booked in mid-March and I hope the weather will calm down a bit before that.

*Also in the winds we're getting I figured that wide flat bars would give me more control than the drops.

I envy you living over that side of the mountains. I know you take a pounding off the coast but we live a bit north of The Old Grey town in the lee of the mountains and since the beginning of December it has been a PITA. Compounded by the fact that every time it is actually fairly nice I seem to be t
tied up with the other bits of my Life's Jigsaw.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Aiming to do 70 miles tomorrow - however the weather is shocking here at the moment. Was stuck on my train home as a tree had blown on the line at Egham!
Going to brave it thou....

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Weather = Atrocious
Cycling = Nil

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Have not been on bike 3 weeks to today.Its the longest ive been off bike since i started cycling again in 2009. The weather has not been as stormy for as long as this that i can remember anyways. I feel like selling up all my bikes and gear and just doing something else, Im that fed up of the storms. The house 2 doors away had half the roof tiles ripped off last wednesday. that was the same day the electricity was gone from 2 pm till 10 pm. Ive lost so much time off the bike, it will be like starting from zero miles again doing 10km at a time. I was able to get up to 85 km on my own last summer.......... i would say 45 - 50 km is nearly what id be able for now. I will head out for an 8km walk during the day and maybe bring the dogs....... suppose its better than nothing !!

A Badger

Regular
Managed 27m last weekend, but naff weather and poorly family has stopped any further progress!! Got a skyride in Leicester next weekend doing 33m. Fingers crossed for sunshine!! Positive thoughts for a weather change welcomed!!!

First week in a long time that I haven't been able to cycle, what with work and the awful weather. Managed 30 mins out today but was windy as anything!!!

nappadang

Über Member
Whether you do or don't go out has to be an individual choice and no one should be given a hard time because they choose to avoid this crap weather. Another consideration has to be safety and this should be first and foremost in anyone's mind before going out.
Personally, I have always viewed poor weather as an extra dimension of challenge. It makes everything so much easier when the weather is good.
If you are struggling to get out but deep down feel you want to, then try to get good quality and appropriate clothing. This makes a huge difference and the fact that you've spent a few bob can be motivation enough for some people. John Blashford Shell once said (I went on expedition with him in the early 90s)"any bloody fool can be uncomfortable." He may well have been quoting your someone else but it has stuck with me all these years. Most of what he said was instantly forgettable.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am resigned to waiting for proper decent weather so far as weather too bad at the moment. I have only managed to do 45 miles so far this year. Will make up for it when spring comes........eventually!

Top Bottom