Is anyone else struggling to get out on the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Effyb4

Veteran
Out on the bike for the first time in a month. Beautiful sunny day, really enjoyed the ride.

The Mighty Boosh

I have not stopped riding since I got my Defy 1 in December and do ride it at least 3 times a week in the wind and rain, Today was a bonus as it was sunny but the wind was still strong, I love the outdoors to much to use a Turbo Trainer

BAtoo

Über Member
First time out today !! Only 15m but it was on the new (to me) Mekk ^_^
mekk_zps35aec6b1.jpg

Dry & sunny with a bit of a breeze, feel better than expected after such a long lay-off :smile:

Weeks of waiting for something resembling decent weather, then along comes a great day, on the day that. I'm volunteered to decorate my daughters flat. Roll on the lighter evenings and must try to get up early for the odd morning ride before work.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I was supposed to be commuting today but woke up too late :cursing:

So I had a 21 mile night ride instead. Amazing what you come across at night. A Barn Owl perched at the roadside, rabbits eyes glowing in the verge, and a little white @rse bouncing up and down in a parked car :laugh:

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
I finally got out yesterday and it felt tough. fairly breezy and steady away but opted for a route that took me onto some of Crewe's worst traffic hot-spots. The roads were deadly and even though there was at times a cycle path, the path was full of garbage, pebbles, twigs etc. This slowed any real progress, and then I had a blow-out due to one of the huge pot-holes that was unavoidable. The wheel was lucky not to be fooked too. So Although I've only done a couple of hundred mile I've had to repair 3 punctures. God I hate the roads around the shytehole known as Crewe.

Anyway due to the wind, slow progress on congested cycle ways with families enjoying a day out, and then the puncture, I only managed 19-mile but it felt good getting out there again.

MikeW-71

Veteran
That's why I don't usually go for cycle paths on the road bike. If they are clear and reasonably wide, it's fine, but most of ours are covered in debris after the storms and it takes ages for them to clear.

I agree that cycle paths generally are poorly maintained and result in an increased likelihood of pictures and even accidents. One of our local cycle tracks adjacent to one of the busiest A Roads in the country has no entry or exit ramp or dropped kerb and I have see cyclist have near misses on several occassions. However if you take the safer route, in the road, drivers seem to treat you with contempt and allow even less room hurling abuse that you should be in the cycle lane.

MikeW-71

Veteran
At least on our recently-completed northern bypass of Carlisle, they have provided cycle paths alongside. Shared-use, but there aren't many peds on them at all, and they are a decent width. As a side-effect, the amount of traffic that it has taken out of the centre is amazing!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I finally got out yesterday and it felt tough. fairly breezy and steady away but opted for a route that took me onto some of Crewe's worst traffic hot-spots. The roads were deadly and even though there was at times a cycle path, the path was full of garbage, pebbles, twigs etc. This slowed any real progress, and then I had a blow-out due to one of the huge pot-holes that was unavoidable. The wheel was lucky not to be fooked too. So Although I've only done a couple of hundred mile I've had to repair 3 punctures. God I hate the roads around the shytehole known as Crewe.

Anyway due to the wind, slow progress on congested cycle ways with families enjoying a day out, and then the puncture, I only managed 19-mile but it felt good getting out there again.
Cycling aside, I concur with your opinion of Crewe, I had to stay there fore a few weeks once with a few workmates and trying to find somewhere with a bit of life at night time was more of a challenge than the 3 peaks!!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I cancelled my gym membership last year when I started cycling regularly again after a few years of just going out occasionally. I have stuck with it and find that except in the strongest wind it is nice to get out in whatever weather (although heavy rain is a PITA as my specs end up covered in rain and I have difficulty seeing properly). I live near the coast and also close to large areas of countryside and it is great to appreciate the contrast in how the scenery appears in different seasons and in different weather conditions.

A bloke who goes in the shop where my wife works and who I used to see in the gym a lot, said last summer that it was okay in the summer but in the winter I wouldn't be able to keep cycling and would be back in the gym - that just motivated me to prove a point, although at present I'm only getting out 2 or 3 times a week instead of the usual 5 or 6.

MikeW-71

Veteran
The wind has been what has restricted me this winter, 40+mph gusts aren't fun to ride in. I've not done too badly though considering.

Top Bottom