Is anyone else struggling to get out on the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've been using the static bikes in the gym, and seem to be massively improving my power output, muscle mass and am now more comfortable at a high pulse, it will all go away when I get back on a normal bike again :ohmy:

doog

I've been using the static bikes in the gym, and seem to be massively improving my power output, muscle mass and am now more comfortable at a high pulse, it will all go away when I get back on a normal bike again :ohmy:

you might be pleasantly surprised

RWright

Guru
[QUOTE 2943000, member: 259"]Haven't you had pretty extreme weather there? Doesn't take you too long to get back to 'normal' fitness. I wouldn't worry about it![/quote]
It has been crazy weather here since Fall, warm to cold almost every week with lots of rain and wind thrown in. I think it is going to take a few weeks to get the cardio back. I am afraid my butt is going to be tender for a little while too. The legs still feel fine.

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
managed to get out and cover 18-miles this morning, but although it wasn't the distance that I enjoyed, it was the massive climb I completed. I had attempted to get up Alsagers Bank (High point of Cheshire) a few weeks ago but but binned it half way up Halmers End. So I thought I would give it another go today and although I stopped for a blow twice, I got up it and enjoyed the long cruise down the other side to ease my aching thighs. Not bad for an old bloke recovering from a heart attack. Now managed 250 miles since November when I started cycling and even though I haven't been out much lately due to weather I obviously feel fitter now.

The other nice surprise was that I expected my average speed to crash and burn today due to the climb which was done at an average of 4.5mph. I actually achieved 11.9 for the ride with my normal average at 12.5mph, so not too shabby (For me)

malcermie

Deep joy!! rain stopped, sun came out!! Only second ride this year 27 miles but a vicious head wind on the return, legs felt like rubber, need to get fitter.

Shadowfax

Bl00dy OH is getting into this cycling lark which means I'm babysitting:rolleyes:
Same situation as us however I am the newbie, have only been out a handful of times due to the weather. I'm not that desperate or suicidal! I think he still does the same sort of miles though.

managed to get out and cover 18-miles this morning, but although it wasn't the distance that I enjoyed, it was the massive climb I completed. I had attempted to get up Alsagers Bank (High point of Cheshire) a few weeks ago but but binned it half way up Halmers End. So I thought I would give it another go today and although I stopped for a blow twice, I got up it and enjoyed the long cruise down the other side to ease my aching thighs. Not bad for an old bloke recovering from a heart attack. Now managed 250 miles since November when I started cycling and even though I haven't been out much lately due to weather I obviously feel fitter now.

The other nice surprise was that I expected my average speed to crash and burn today due to the climb which was done at an average of 4.5mph. I actually achieved 11.9 for the ride with my normal average at 12.5mph, so not too shabby (For me)
Alsagers Bank is enough to give anyone a heart attack, never mind someone recovering from one. Is the road surface still as dire as ever (from Halmer End)? I find that is the real killer with that climb! Also if you approach it from Silverdale and go up via Scot Hay, you will find it a touch easier initially! (helps my ego and confidence no end!) :whistle:

Probably over that way tomorrow (given the forecast) when I cycle over to Trentham. Seems to be the best day to do my longest ride since the dog bite and I want to get over to Trentham this week...

Extremely impressive, having cycled through the area only once, I take my hat off too you, well done.The weather down South has been bloody awful and I am looking forward to anything resembling a long, dry and wind free period.

KateK

Yet another exciting day where I get to fill my shoes with newspaper after a ride... Is it better than Sunday where I got so tired of battling against the wind that I decided to just stop? Somehow home always seems closer after a biscuit or too.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Got a commute in on saturday, then a 14 miler with my brother last night, during which it rained and we ended up riding through a flood :blink:

Commuted today and should get a ride in tommorrow as well, a decent little run that, lets hope things calm down at the weekend.

MikeG

Guru
Sorry to pee you off mightily, Licramite, but I took one look out of the window this morning , had a quick glance in my diary, then headed off for a nice 65 miler to sunny Maldon on the Blackwater estuary. Gorgeous ride, gorgeous lump of really fruity bread pudding when I got there, and the wind on my back all the way home. All this on my new bike, and trying out a much more comfortable saddle.

As an aside, an old boy wandered up to have a look at my bike as I was drinking my tea, and said that he used to do time trials in the 50's and 60's on a fixie..........and in 1957 rode over 10,000 miles in the year!! He couldn't believe how far bikes had come in the meantime.......

Mike

MikeG

Guru
Best bit of all? One of my sites lies on the route, so I stopped and did a routine inspection of the works (I am an architect).........so I will actually get paid for the ride!! :smile:

OK, NOW you are allowed to hate me.

Top Bottom