Is anyone else struggling to get out on the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I use a baseball cap, or a peaked helmet, to keep the worst off mine.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

spenno37

Regular
nope not been out since xmas..... I did go on my hols for two weeks mind you. I really cant do the wind though f@@@s me right off

KateK

(although heavy rain is a PITA as my specs end up covered in rain and I have difficulty seeing properly).
I use antifog on mine: muc-off variey at present, though it doesn't come out in a "fine mist" more like a splatter. I had some microclair hydrophobic before that (from the cycle show in Birmingham) it worked better but wouldn't last a whole ride in the rain (!). The mucoff at least stops the dreaded mist on inside, rain on outside combination you get when you stop at junctions. . I don't know if anyone has come across anything better.

sutts

The weather hasn't stopped me getting out at all! Luckily in Norfolk the winter has been mild, if wet and windy. My only problem is that I am soooooo slow right now! I know that we can expect to be slow in winter, but I feel there is no way that I will ever get back to any of my personal best times! Not that I am a fast rider on my hybrid Trek...but I do like to beat my own times every now and then. I was about 30 minutes slower than my PB over 25 miles today!! Seems impossible that I will ever get that sort of time back!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
The weather hasn't stopped me getting out at all! Luckily in Norfolk the winter has been mild, if wet and windy. My only problem is that I am soooooo slow right now! I know that we can expect to be slow in winter, but I feel there is no way that I will ever get back to any of my personal best times! Not that I am a fast rider on my hybrid Trek...but I do like to beat my own times every now and then. I was about 30 minutes slower than my PB over 25 miles today!! Seems impossible that I will ever get that sort of time back!
Know how you feel, I am too old to worry about setting any records now, but it is so much more difficult to cover distances as quickly in the winter. I'm also with you on the bike type, I ride a Specialized Sirrus hybrid, although a couple of more ITK cyclists than me have described it as more of a flat bar road bike.

Spring is coming though, I got out for a couple of hours today and visited Crosby beach near Liverpool at high tide, definite springy feel in the air.

At least on our recently-completed northern bypass of Carlisle, they have provided cycle paths alongside. Shared-use, but there aren't many peds on them at all, and they are a decent width. As a side-effect, the amount of traffic that it has taken out of the centre is amazing!
Totally jealous, sounds like cycling heaven. Got out for a nice early morning ride this morning for the first time in a long while capped off with a one mile bike walk when the chain snapped a the bottom of the last hill. Hey Ho!

MikeW-71

Veteran
Totally jealous, sounds like cycling heaven. Got out for a nice early morning ride this morning for the first time in a long while capped off with a one mile bike walk when the chain snapped a the bottom of the last hill. Hey Ho!
It is good country up here, I'd hate to have to leave. All my usual routes get me out onto back roads within a mile or two, and once there, I might only see 5 cars in 2 hours. No shortage of hills, which can be good or bad :biggrin:

It is good country up here, I'd hate to have to leave. All my usual routes get me out onto back roads within a mile or two, and once there, I might only see 5 cars in 2 hours. No shortage of hills, which can be good or bad :biggrin:
Maybe some day I can brave the hills and take the opportunity to join you. Happy cycling.

KateK

the chain snapped a the bottom of the last hill. Hey Ho![/quote

Count that as a good day, like when my tyre failed after 40 miles of riding and 100yards from a cycle shop that was open even on a Sunday.

the chain snapped a the bottom of the last hill. Hey Ho![/quote

Count that as a good day, like when my tyre failed after 40 miles of riding and 100yards from a cycle shop that was open even on a Sunday.
Good luck in the sense of the exercise I needed, as I live on top of the hill and still had to walk up it.

RWright

Guru
I got back out today for the first time in a while. I felt it too. :ohmy:

Time to get back in a routine, bad weather or not. I ride for fitness and I am not willing to give back any more of that than I already did by being lazy the past few months. :boxing::bicycle:

Licramite

Über Member
got out for the first time in months, have to wear a heart monitor and try and keep my heart rate under 140 - well I failed on that one !
It was like captain hook wit the crocodile, I kept hearing the beep beep of the warning signal everytime I hit a hill.

Great to be back on a moving bike (even if the gears did play up) great ride, not to muddy, even managed to wash the bike and me before getting home as one stretch was through 1ft 1/2 of water, and of course with a landrover coming the other way so I got the bow wave (I waved back)

hopefully this is the first of many till I have the op. - then when they've fixed me there will be no stopping me.

Top Bottom