Is anyone still cycling in shorts & tee-shirt ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
First let me explain..............
At my age I really feel the cold. So yesterday.......5 degrees with a cold wind I did a 30 miler and wore 3 base layers plus a windproof top, normal padded bibs plus thermal long johns with lightweight running tights/leggings. I was warm but still felt the cold wind.
Twice I saw cyclist wearing just shorts & short sleeved tops :eek:.
50 years ago when I had to commute in winter I would get wrapped up and just get on with it...............but 5 degrees, cold wind and just shorts and summer top ???
Anybody else not feel the cold?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No chance !
Went out this morning andit was sunny so i opted for base layer, ls jersey , bib tights and leg warmers with just toecovers and my toes were cold .Spent this afternoon mending the shed and my hands are numb .

Ciar

Veteran
Down here in London i am still riding in a base layer with a ss top and shorts, it's just so mild still.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Eh? Hell no..!!!
I am South American living in Belfast... No way in hell you send me out in just short and a SS jersey..!!!
All "Summer"? long I was wearing arm warmers and a base layer... (and always had my rain jacket or vest in my pocket)
Oh and light shoe covers...

So no chance you see me in shorts up North... But yes I saw a few in shorts.. CRAZY...!!!!

oldroadman

Veteran
It has not been warm enough for shorts for months. Less than 20c cover up if you value your knee health. I saw one yesterday, s/s top and shorts, 12c. Mad. Good base layers keep body temp regulated, Roubaix longs for warmth, gloves, hat, shoe covers if you want. It's called winter (at least 8 months a year in UK!). Take care of your body and it will take care of you. The silly brigade will suffer for showing off with all that (often hairy!) skin exposed.

Sharky

Guru
Always cover up from October, if not before. But it has been surprisingly mild in Kent this year and have yet to bother with overshoes.

vickster

Legendary Member
No because I have dodgy knees. I only wear short sleeves in the summer, for some reason my lower arms get really cold!

I was far too hot on Sunday however with thin 3/4 lengths under winter cruisers, my legs were sweating after a few miles. Back into a single pair or roubaix tights now

Today on my top I had a long sleeve jersey and an altura night vision jacket and a thin buff. I wasn't
cold, my neck was sweaty but I got home an hour ago and my ears are still hurting from the cool air!

@jefmcg wore shorts on our rode yesterday, crazy Aussie ;)

contadino

Veteran
17 degrees today. I had l/s base layer, l/s shirt, shorts, Ron Hill's, and the all-important buff.

It was fine for most of the ride but the last 10km coming home the wind was cold and cutting through. Had to have a Bodka (Bovril, vodka, Tabasco) when I got in.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Endura Windchill II softshell, Base layer, Shorts & Leg warmers is still my standard loadout. I'll switch the softshell for a jersey and gilet soon though.

pawl

Legendary Member
First let me explain..............
At my age I really feel the cold. So yesterday.......5 degrees with a cold wind I did a 30 miler and wore 3 base layers plus a windproof top, normal padded bibs plus thermal long johns with lightweight running tights/leggings. I was warm but still felt the cold wind.
Twice I saw cyclist wearing just shorts & short sleeved tops :eek:.
50 years ago when I had to commute in winter I would get wrapped up and just get on with it...............but 5 degrees, cold wind and just shorts and summer top ???
Anybody else not feel the cold?
There's a guy comes down mr road most mornings come wind and rain wearing shorts.Top half Michelln man esc.

Top Bottom