Is buying from Halford's a good idea?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SNOWYLAD

Regular
I did look at the Subway, but it looked more of a mountain bike with its big wheels and tyres. Well I have ruled out the Crossfire due to the suspension. My choice is narrowed down between the Crossfire, Voodoo Marasa and also the Boardman Performance Hybrid.

I did try another cycle shop but once they heard my budget didn't show much interest in me, where as the local Halford's staff were more helpful and interested in my custom.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Where do you live? Someone may be able to suggest a retailer

If you join british cycling which is sensible for the other benefits, you can get 10% off at halfords

runner

Guru
Although I have never bought a bike from Halfords I can see they are quite competitive in what they offer and the Carrera range are very often heavily discounted. However I would agree with so many people on their servicing, I had a friend at work who recently had a new chain as part of a regular service, he picked his bike up at the end of the day and proceeded on his way home....to be abruptly thrown from his bike when the chain snapped. The Halfords staff were not in the least concerned when he returned to them (with blood on his face!) so the moral would appear to be...buy a bike but be wary of their build and service quality.....

vickster

Legendary Member
The same can go for any chain unfortunately. LBS is likely to be more reliant not only on repeat business but also referrals and thus maybe more attentive.,,especially if it's their business and sole livelihood.

shadow master

Although I have never bought a bike from Halfords I can see they are quite competitive in what they offer and the Carrera range are very often heavily discounted. However I would agree with so many people on their servicing, I had a friend at work who recently had a new chain as part of a regular service, he picked his bike up at the end of the day and proceeded on his way home....to be abruptly thrown from his bike when the chain snapped. The Halfords staff were not in the least concerned when he returned to them (with blood on his face!) so the moral would appear to be...buy a bike but be wary of their build and service quality.....
Buy a bike....but be wary of their build and service?..talk about reward a shop for bad service!...how about don't buy a bike if you don't trust or like the company?

flyingfish

@Flying Dodo has that right. The tyres are prone to punctures too. Buy on line & you can get one for 240 but mine cost another 120 before I was happy with it
Pete

Last edited:

david k

Hi
Started to commute to work in the Summer, still going through the Winter months so I guess I have the bug!

My commute is fairly small, 3 miles each way, but saves time on walking as car is not really an option. Also enjoy cycling at the weekends, but not doing any more than 10 to 15 miles currently.

My budget is £300 ish and the only cycle shop nearby is Halfords, they have couple of hybrids in store that look to do the job, The Carrera Crossfire 2 (£299) and Voodoo Marasa (£315). Currently using a 1990's Raleigh Massif, so anything will surely be better?!!!!
the voodo marisa is very good, i bought one for my son, i bought my wife the crossfire 2 and although comfy its very heavy

my local halfords are very good, dont know about yours though

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Buy a bike....but be wary of their build and service?..talk about reward a shop for bad service!...how about don't buy a bike if you don't trust or like the company?

Well, when I bought my MTB they were by far the cheapest for an equivalent spec. However I took the bike home in a box and built it myself....Given that I do all my own servicing anyway it was a no-brainer to buy from Halfords and save over £100.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I will cut a long story short but I took my bike to Halfords over 3 years ago now and they did a service it on and charged me for new brake pads. All sorts started to go wrong with the bike and the gear changes were chronic so I took to a local bike shop a couple of weeks alter as I had had it with Halfords. Low and behold the brake pads needed changing! I told him Halfords had done them 2 weeks before and he showed me that they hadn't !
Its says it all for me . This was Halfords in Bilston by the B & Q by the way.and when I called to complain and they showed no interest I basically said I was going into the branch to sort it . Then they decided to refund me for the service over the phone then . They basically robbed me !

OP
OP
S

SNOWYLAD

Regular
Thanks for everyone's advice and guidance.

I have decided not to purchase from my local Halford's, seems to be too many bad stories and it wasn't helped by my recent visit when I was approached by a very young sales assistant who wasn't able to answer the basic questions!

I have now purchased a Giant Escape from a nearby LBS and it seems to meet my needs.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom