Is buying from Halford's a good idea?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

Thanks for everyone's advice and guidance.

I have decided not to purchase from my local Halford's, seems to be too many bad stories and it wasn't helped by my recent visit when I was approached by a very young sales assistant who wasn't able to answer the basic questions!

I have now purchased a Giant Escape from a nearby LBS and it seems to meet my needs.

Thanks again.
Good for you!

Cambie

I've recently bought my wife a Pendleton racer for the ridiculously low price of £200 with Claris kit! Built it myself. Couldn't ask for more for the money. She loves it as a first road bike.

I then bought myself a Boardman road bike. Down from £500 to £425 minus 10% for British Cycling membership made it £380! They helped size me correctly and ordered it in and built it in 24 hours. Only minor gripe was they handed it over without a final polish off of the hand marks from the build.

Have bought clothing and returned it for an exchange or refund(Even though worn) without questions. Very easy to deal with so far. That's the Brighton branch.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I then bought myself a Boardman road bike. Down from £500 to £425 minus 10% for British Cycling membership made it £380!
That annoys me slightly: Halfords are notable for being the biggest cycling retailer that doesn't pay into the community projects fund (Bike Hub) and British Cycling encourage trade with them with that discount, despite their famously variable levels of safety and service. The lying online stock-checker and click-and-collect notifications being sent before things arrive were the final straw. They are now strictly a last resort, after local stores, the Raleigh franchisee and the car spares shops and only if I won't wait for an internet order.

Red17

Veteran
I've got 2 local Halfords in the Croydon area about equidistant from home - one is absolutely abysmal, the other pretty good - all depends on the staff

Happy with the quality of the bikes though - I've bought a Carrera road bike and a Voodoo mountain bike off them and pleased with both for the money.

Last edited:
Never had any problem with Halfords and I am very particular when it comes to my race bike.

jay clock

Massive member
My click and collect was "click, and not collect as nothing in stock even though the system said it was." So ordered online and so far two different parcels but not the tubes I was hankering after

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just to add some more balance, my local Halfords isn't too bad, the "bike man" is very knowledgable and very helpful and will chat in depth about your chosen subject and used to ride competitive MTB (haven't had any work done there though). I think Halfords like any LBS is only as good as its staff and there are good and bad versions of both.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
That annoys me slightly: Halfords are notable for being the biggest cycling retailer that doesn't pay into the community projects fund (Bike Hub) and British Cycling encourage trade with them with that discount, despite their famously variable levels of safety and service. The lying online stock-checker and click-and-collect notifications being sent before things arrive were the final straw. They are now strictly a last resort, after local stores, the Raleigh franchisee and the car spares shops and only if I won't wait for an internet order.

Two of my local LBS had square taper Shimano BB for over 20 quid, Halfords £10 for the same item! I look through Halfords stuff just like I look through LBS stuff.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
But as you say its about the people at the different branches, you can't tar them all with the same brush :smile:

Top Bottom