Is CC becoming a victim of its own success ? ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Sometimes Peanut's OP proposition's about right, other times it isn't. I'll join in, have a go at other people, deliberately wind other people up, and often get the same back from them. I'll also try to be helpful when there's a cycling query I know something about, and I'll ask for comments if I want to know something. I try to avoid being rude (usually), but accept that some people will be. Thats life, and it applies to web forums as well.

I belong to several web forums (well, 6 + this one), one of the others is cycling and much more formal, and the others are related to other interests. All have a café equivalent, four have a P&L equivalent, the others have campaigning instead.

This one's more liberal than most in what stays posted, and unlike some allows posting before moderation and doesn't censor off-subject posts or posts which don't follow the 'party line'. That means I waste much more time here than on the others - and did when I just read it before I joined it!

The other side of this forum is that it is a cycling forum, and contains a lot of good helpful tips and interesting cycling related material. It's that I enjoy cycling more than most activities which brings me here - it's often non cycling related threads which keep me here much longer than I should be, and if they get argumentative that's fine by me!

BTW Arch, 40 is definitely young whippersnapper territory even if it is ancient compared to some on here!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Davidc said:
BTW Arch, 40 is definitely young whippersnapper territory even if it is ancient compared to some on here!

Wow, cool, I will endedavor to act more like a whippersnapper in future, whatever that is...;)

Norm

There seems to be peeps from all political shades, socio-economic classes, geographies, ages, trades and professions, all seem to be represented in the CC community. And, IMO, any community so diverse is almost guaranteed to generate friction.

Our shared interest is a strange one. Whilst it is a form of transport, it is a relatively localised form of transport so there are not that many group meets. If the shared interest was car, for instance, people would possibly drive 100+ miles to meet, natter and see what people were driving. There's less impetus for this sort of thing on CC.

Because we don't know the personalities, there is a greater potential for keyboard warriors to mouth off with impunity. There is a greater possibility for misunderstandings to occur when you don't see the glint in the eye of someone who is having a gentle dig at, for instance, punctuation mistakes.

I think CC is run well, Shaun and the Mods (that should be a pop group from the 1960s) do an excellent job, I can't think how I'd do anything differently. The place is set up so that commuters can keep out of the wheel tracks of those interested in racing, who have a whole different set of questions and problems. The boxing ring which is P&L is segregated so that only those wearing the correct protection enter the fray.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Norm said:
I think CC is run well, Shaun and the Mods (that should be a pop group from the 1960s) do an excellent job, I can't think how I'd do anything differently. The place is set up so that commuters can keep out of the wheel tracks of those interested in racing, who have a whole different set of questions and problems. The boxing ring which is P&L is segregated so that only those wearing the correct protection enter the fray.

+!, Shaun does a brilliant job...and deserves a medal at times I am sure.

I am on a couple of other forums-horse related ones-although hardly venture on them anymore as I much prefer it here:biggrin:and anyone who thinks it gets a bit argumentative here should venture into the horsey world-you'd have your eyes opened.
I dont know if its because the majority of posters there are women although for some reason the horsey world is a very bitchy place imo, but it is just non stop bitching, backstabbing, bullying and belittling all the time, thats why I cant be bothered with it anymore.
On here, yes there are arguments and fall outs and the occasional troll (Hi Blazed;)) but 99 out of 100 people on here are sound, helpful, and a lot of fun, and the friendly banter, fun, good friends and occasional talk about cycling:tongue:makes it a great place to belong.

Cheers Shaun, you do us proud ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Norm said:

Will the lady mods have to wear sequinned dresses nd beehive hairdos and sing the 'be wop' bits?;)

Noodley

bonj2 said:
oooh, there's been a flouncing! :ohmy: he's flounced!

Not to worry, I'm sure he'll follow the lead of other flouncers and return as peanut2 :biggrin:

Bandini

peanut said:
When Mods start flaming and making personal attacks on other members and use abusive and insulting language I think its time that some sensible moderation was intoduced.

personally I blame the rise of the L&P forum . I believe that a lot of the topics and language used is not appropriate to a cycling forum but that is just my opinion. The negative aspects of the L&P forum are starting to spill over onto other sections as they look for 'easy 'prey' to flame.

I think CC is heading for a C+ or ACF type meltdown shortly if things continue as they are

I don't. I love it.

I am new to cycling (for many years) and the site, and therefore clearly not as venerable as you, but it seems that the title of the site and the forums suggest that this is a site that attracts many people that like to chat to people with a similar interest - but also people who share other interests and traits?

I like the fact that you get threads that are humorous and interesting, and they may share other interests - for example, a love of the countryside or... the people I ride with, I ride and will be riding with because they are good company. And the same if I am talking about bikes.

I know it is a cliche, but 'change the channel' - find threads for you - as everyone else does, I am sure?

I hope you are not outraged by the views of what you may see as a dilatante, but I can see that biking is a broad church. Yes, I want to know about technical stuff etc. - but I might just like to verbally mess around with people who are interested in something I am interested in?

I think sometimes people who are not used to not being agreed with see it as flaming? I am not saying that is you but it is common.

Norm

Bandini said:
...but I can see that biking is a broad church.
That's the bit which I didn't figure out until after I'd joined here.

The congregation includes petrolheads looking for alternative ways to get their kicks and people who haven't had a car in years, students who think £100 is a lot for anything which isn't alcoholic and peeps who blow £5g to shave a few seconds off their TT times, people who ride for business, and pleasure, road racers and people who never go near tarmac... it's a mixed bunch and I reckon the admin & mods have a pretty tough time on their hands just trying to keep up with it all.

jay clock

Massive member
In reply to the original posting, it is really simple

What happened to serious discussion about cycling related topics ?

I just selected 'new posts ' and I am struggling to see 5x serious bike topics in the first 20 threads.
I just set things up so that when I select "new posts" it avoids the areas I don't want to read about. I am only really interested in discussing cycling on here, so L&P (for example) does not get listed on "new posts".

So 99% of what I read is cycling related. Easy. Simples even

Top Bottom