Is chewing gum rude?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If only it was pH14.

Globalti

Legendary Member
err......how can an inanimate object be rude?

Or the act of chewing it be rude?

Surely it's just down to the person chewing it, and the environment/scenario in which they choose to chew?

It's rude for the following reason: The anthropologist Desmond Morris explained chewing gum in his book The Naked Ape, which was the first "user friendly" guide to human behaviour. When humans were all sitting around a fire chewing something the hunters had brought home, the alpha male was the one who got to eat first and eat the best bits. The same applies with all pack animals when there's food available. So deep in the human psyche is the association between mastication and seniority and the well-muscled male jaw reinforces the idea of masculinity. That's why chewing gum makes you look tough and that's why it is faintly threatening and rude to chew in public; the pudding-faced oaf Ferguson is the personification of the gum-chewing alpha male.

Notwithstanding, chewing gum is disgusting because chewers usually spit their filthy gum on the pavement or worse, stick it on the underneath of the table where idle fingers can find it. It really upsets me when the city council spends a fortune on lovely new stone slabs for the pavements and within six months they are speckled with the filthy stuff. I would ban it but I suppose the confectionery manufactures must give money to the government.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
the pudding-faced oaf Ferguson is the personification of the gum-chewing Alpha male

Quite the opposite to me - If I ever meet him, I want to make a 'MOOOOO!!' noise at him. Unfortunately, I doubt he'd understand, but he always reminded me of a cow chewing the cud!

Yes, I generally don't like it, along with the 'Pop' noise you get when people (usually teenage girls) try to blow bubbles with it and instead get a 'Crack!' sound.

ayceejay

Guru
It is kind of dying out now (for some strange reason^_^) but baseball players once chewed tobacco:ohmy:. You can still buy tins of the stuff but if you want to see 'rude' this is where to look especially as it involves periodic gobbing out of the liquid.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's rude for the following reason: The anthropologist Desmond Morris explained chewing gum in his book The Naked Ape, which was the first "user friendly" guide to human behaviour. When humans were all sitting around a fire chewing something the hunters had brought home, the alpha male was the one who got to eat first and eat the best bits. The same applies with all pack animals when there's food available. So deep in the human psyche is the association between mastication and seniority and the well-muscled male jaw reinforces the idea of masculinity. That's why chewing gum makes you look tough and that's why it is faintly threatening and rude to chew in public; the pudding-faced oaf Ferguson is the personification of the gum-chewing alpha male.

I think that's b*ll*ocks myself.

Might as well say having a heartbeat is macho, or doing a poo! Chewing is a basic bodily necessity.

Anyway, the 'best bits' would be the least chewy - lean meat, offal, fat etc. The chewiest bits would be the gristle and bones and so on.

If a well muscled jaw was that attractive so far back, Cro-Magnons would never have out-evolved the Neanderthals.

asterix

Comrade Member
I saw the twat Michael McIntyre being interviewed at Queens whilst chewing gum. Iggerant pillock:whistle:

He is when not chewing gum, too.

I don't see any problem with gum-chewing provided only if it is done in the privacy of your own home in the company of consenting adults.

Arch

Married to Night Train
we didn't out evolve Neanderthals, out lasted maybe or whatever but out evolve ,No

No, not evolve, you're right, that's the wrong word, because Cro-Magnon aren't descended from Neanderthal, they co-existed, and interbred. But we are mainly Cro-Magnon, rather than mainly Neanderthal, so Cro-Magnons had some evolutionary advantage. If massive jaws had been so attractive, Neanderthals would have had a big advantage.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
No, not evolve, you're right, that's the wrong word, because Cro-Magnon aren't descended from Neanderthal, they co-existed, and interbred. But we are mainly Cro-Magnon, rather than mainly Neanderthal, so Cro-Magnons had some evolutionary advantage. If massive jaws had been so attractive, Neanderthals would have had a big advantage.
I don't think it really works like that Arch.

Top Bottom