Is chewing gum rude?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have plenty of better things to talk about. Or at least think about. Such as, can an Englishman be an Anglophile?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Never seen a giraffe chewing gum though.

I have seen giraffes chewing lots of times; they spend a lot of time at it, and there are quite a few that hang around near where my brother-in-law used to live, in Richard's Bay, South Africa.

I always assumed they were chewing the cud, but perhaps I was wrong?

(I wonder how they get the wrappers open? Although, having the stomachs they do, perhaps they don't bother, just eat it wrapper and all. And they could probably get it by just levering it up off the ground with their tongues).

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Relying on my jokes to cheer you up? Ye gads! It must have been bad!! I just hope you have a better afternoon!!

Or maybe I have the same tragic humour?? ;-)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have seen giraffes chewing lots of times; they spend a lot of time at it, and there are quite a few that hang around near where my brother-in-law used to live, in Richard's Bay, South Africa.

I always assumed they were chewing the cud, but perhaps I was wrong?

(I wonder how they get the wrappers open? Although, having the stomachs they do, perhaps they don't bother, just eat it wrapper and all. And they could probably get it by just levering it up off the ground with their tongues).

They do what dogs do - one foot on the wrapper to hold it whilst opening it with their mouth/tongue, and then lick the gum off once its open enough. Simple!

They are quite bad at littering are those Giraffes though.

asterix

Comrade Member
Isn't all saliva mildly antiseptic? Which is why dogs and other beasties literally 'lick their wounds'?

Probably. I have found that licking a mozzie bite soothes it. The bite not the mozzie. Talking of mozzies, I have been told that burning dried elephant dung is good insect repellent altho it is possible that enduring the insects might be preferable.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Disgusting stuff.
There's a woman serving customers in our local supermarket that chews gum all the time. I will always go through another checkout when I see her on shift

Top Bottom