Is chewing gum rude?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't think it really works like that Arch.

I think it's as likely as the idea that chewing gum is somehow supposed to make us think "Oh look, he's chewing a lot, he must be the top bloke".

Given that humans are more likely to use massive jaws to chew nuts and grains, the chap chewing the most is more likely to be showing off his prowess at picking stuff than at hunting. Wow, there goes the big chief lentil knitter!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Any parents out there going to parent's evenings. Take a look under the school desks/tables and be prepared to be disgusted by what you might see there.
CCP0012357_P.JPG
img_7918_2.jpg

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Singapore has the right idea, it's banned there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[QUOTE 2505152, member: 30090"]No it's not. However there are instances when you may think so.[/quote]
oh yes it is

It is not illegal to chew gum in Singapore. You can bring along a pick or two for your own consumption. It is the importation of chewing gum for sale which is restricted. At this time only certain types are permitted to be sold at pharmacies for dental health and therapeutic use as prescribed by a doctor.
The ban was put in place due to people sticking it on seats in railway stations etc, and should you get caught doing this the applicable laws are those which relate to the dropping of litter.

DRHysted

Guru
I was brought up not to speak whilst chewing. Having someone chamming away at gum whilst talking (well more of a lip smacking noise), just goes against how I was raised.
I blame my Mum.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Wait, there's worse...

In Seattle it's art...

... my mare Jason adding his piece of gum to The Gum Wall. Nasty.
xx(

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have been known to chew gum after a meal but once the flavour is gone the gum goes straight in the bin. I never chew gum at work or in company. My dentist says that chewing gum after a meal is a good thing as it gets rid of sugars that might be lying about in your teeth so a sugar free gum is the way to go.
I had a lass come and work for me on a 3 month trial and she didn't make the first week due to her gum chewing habit. She was a noisy chewer and it really got on my pips. Also a few of my customers commented on her chewing which was enough. I asked her 3 or 4 times not to chew at work but she didn't listen so I got rid.

I dislike being around chewers of gum. More so as I get older.

I am old enough to recall that eating in the street was not approved of in my early youth.

I still dislike seeing large people eating in public. I know this is disgracefully snobbish, discriminatory and divisive, but I find it unpleasant to witness. The fat should eat in private; unless it's a green salad which frankly, it never is.

There, I've said it.

I laughed when dropping a friend at an airport and she was horror-struck by something she saw. It was an immense person in leggings on a very hot day chugging Diet Coke from a 2-litre bottle. My friend (not British) simply could not understand why someone would buy 2 litres of a diet drink and then chug it like water. I love it when others share my prejudices and disapproval.

Kies

Are you really telling me some oik from the local street corner looks good in Burberry with a Gucci timepiece??

Top Bottom