Is chewing gum rude?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wow. The bacterial load on that wall must be impressive. Given a bit of time I bet some kind of biological cure would develop for cancer or even hemorrhoids.

Will it? I'd assume that any saliva based bacteria would die off as it dried, and any airborne stuff would be there anyway sticking to any wall....

Sandra6

Veteran
Assistants in shops chewing is the one that annoys me

That'd be me then:sad:
Chewing gum is good for your teeth, it's also good for sore throats and I find it stops me feeling hungry.
I don't chew with my mouth open and I don't chew while people are talking to me, but I do chew gum quite frequently and I don't think it's rude at all.

colly

Re member eR
Will it? I'd assume that any saliva based bacteria would die off as it dried, and any airborne stuff would be there anyway sticking to any wall....
I'd say inside most of those bits of goo all kinds of microbiological life is beavering away just waiting for the main chance. Safe environment, plenty of food, out of the harmful sunshine. Each little section of gum might have it's own species. Given time tensions might arise between neighbouring communities. Incursions. Border disputes. Wars declared. Arms races. Pacts. Alliances formed and broken. Envoys. Peace missions. Uprisings. Insurgent activity. Totalitarian states. Ruling classes. Revolutions. Democracy. Monetary systems. Banks.

Dear God !! Get it cleaned before it's too late!! :eek: :eek:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
After spending an hour sitting at a desk next to someone chewing, I worked out why I dislike it so much.

Hearing and (from the corner of my eye) seeing her chewing made me salivate in sympathy. I couldn't stop it happening - and it was annoying. Once I'd let it get under my skin and annoy me, I could hardly get away fast enough.

It may be good for your teeth and so on, and some people manage to chew gum discreetly (and with their mouths shut, and not when you're talking to them). But most don't. Please just don't do it near me.

Leodis

Veteran
I was visiting the dentist the other week and there was a family in the tiny waiting room, I didn’t need to look because I could hear the mother smacking her lips together whilst talking, I did look and she looked like a 12 year old trapped in a 30 something body. That said she didn’t do anything when her feral kids took over the waiting room with shouting and messing about with balloons. Baa humbug

asterix

Comrade Member

Apparently the reason giraffes can chew thorn bushes is because their saliva is anti-septic. They also have a very tough tongue that is 45cm long. Never seen a giraffe chewing gum though.

Nearly there

Veteran
Interviewed a woman once first thing I noticed was the Gum she was chowing on all the way through the interview she smacked away on the bloody thing,she didn't get the job^_^

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Apparently the reason giraffes can chew thorn bushes is because their saliva is anti-septic. They also have a very tough tongue that is 45cm long. Never seen a giraffe chewing gum though.

Isn't all saliva mildly antiseptic? Which is why dogs and other beasties literally 'lick their wounds'?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Whilst I dislike noisy gum-chewing as much as the next person (whilst being an occasional silent and unobtrusive gum-chewer myself, on occasion), I feel I really must take issue with the assertion made by various contributors herein with regard to "lip-smacking" while chewing gum. I have experimented just now, and I find that the noise is produced primarily by the action of the tongue against the palate, not the lips. The lips move at the same time, thus giving the illusion that they are producing the noise, however, I am certain that it is the tongue and palate.

Top Bottom