Is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I cackled to myself as I rode past the tool centre thrmometer this morning as it read -5 hahahahhahhahahahhahaaaaahahahahahahaha:cold::laugh::smile:

OP
OP
U

User482

I did occur to me today that I can't really wear any more layers and still have enough movement to cycle!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
User482 said:
Or is anyone else taking a perverse delight in the current cold snap? I did a couple of lovely walks in the Pennines over Christmas, well wrapped up and then finished at a pub with a crackling fire. I watched a boxing day cricket match (yes, really), fortified by a mulled wine or two. The frozen ground makes winter MTBing more pleasurable than the usual Bristol gloopfest.

There are downsides of course - my hens don't seem very happy and the gas bill will be horrendous. And no doubt I'll fall off my bike tomorrow.

I'm loving it. The crunch of ice over what was once deep Welsh mud is immensely satisfying. Having trouble keeping the feet warm enough though. I have good overshoes but what do people do about the chill that the spds and cleats deliver to the centre of the sole/soul?

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I had a fortnight off over the xmas break and managed to do 5 decent rides, 4 runs and 5 country walks combined mileage about 125mls most of it done in sub-or-close-to-zero temperatures, sorry, the run after boxing day cabin fever was in torrential rain :smile:
Cold never really bothers me-apart from frozen feet cycling ...I'm one of those fair skinned northeners who cant take the summer heat which is why i never run june-Aug.
Commuted my usual 15ml to work this morning by m/cycle at -4 degrees anyone got a chill factor chart so I can work out the temp at 60mph? :laugh:;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
User482 said:
Or is anyone else taking a perverse delight in the current cold snap? I did a couple of lovely walks in the Pennines over Christmas, well wrapped up and then finished at a pub with a crackling fire.
I'm trying to avoid the pub, but I'm managing the lovely walks in the Pennines. This was taken yesterday afternoon...

Old Chamber above Hebden Bridge

winter_walk_sheep.jpg

I could do with some studs in my walking boots - I almost slipped over a couple of times... :tongue:

OP
OP
U

User482

theclaud said:
I'm loving it. The crunch of ice over what was once deep Welsh mud is immensely satisfying. Having trouble keeping the feet warm enough though. I have good overshoes but what do people do about the chill that the spds and cleats deliver to the centre of the sole/soul?

I use these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19585

Waterproof & windproof, plus you can wear thick hiking socks as they're quite roomy. Because they're completely sealed, you shouldn't get the problem with chill from the cleats. They are starting to fall apart after only 2 winters' use though, so I would look at alternative boots from Shimano etc.

barq

theclaud said:

You can buy winter boots for cycling. They are very waterproof and quite warm. Even so I still get chilly toes eventually. So whether it is really worth the money is a moot point.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks Barq and User482. I've been tempted by those boots occasionally but they're pricey and the reviews tend to be hit and miss, so I haven't taken the plunge. How do they get round the cleat chill thing - is it just a thick insole?

OP
OP
U

User482

theclaud said:
Thanks Barq and User482. I've been tempted by those boots occasionally but they're pricey and the reviews tend to be hit and miss, so I haven't taken the plunge. How do they get round the cleat chill thing - is it just a thick insole?

The shimano ones seem to be well thought of in the reviews. I like my diadoras, but as I said, they haven't lasted well so wouldn't recommend them. In answer to your question, I guess they don't get the problem because they're properly sealed - most shoes let in water through the slots or bolt holes in the sole. That said, I tend to find cold toes more of a problem than cold from the cleat/ pedal area.

Top Bottom