Is it me or the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveplums

Hi All,
I bought a Trek 1.5 a couple of months ago (on here in fact) in order to take part in a local triathlon.
I am loving the cycling aspect and have been out several times covering distances from 20 miles up to 55 miles. My average speeds have increased from about 14mph up to 19mph. However, I recently went for a ride for the first time with a local cycling club and although the average moving speed was 18mph I really struggled to keep up on some of the hill climbs. I have read that the lighter stiffer bikes make hill climbing easier, but to what extent? Am I better just slugging it out on my current bike and improving my strength and stamina, or do I upgrade to a better model. I have some cash to spend (about £2000)
Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it's you.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi All,
I bought a Trek 1.5 a couple of months ago (on here in fact) in order to take part in a local triathlon.
I am loving the cycling aspect and have been out several times covering distances from 20 miles up to 55 miles. My average speeds have increased from about 14mph up to 19mph. However, I recently went for a ride for the first time with a local cycling club and although the average moving speed was 18mph I really struggled to keep up on some of the hill climbs. I have read that the lighter stiffer bikes make hill climbing easier, but to what extent? Am I better just slugging it out on my current bike and improving my strength and stamina, or do I upgrade to a better model. I have some cash to spend (about £2000)
Any help is appreciated.

Dave
if you want to climb well you need a good power:weight ratio. If you are overweight the best (and cheapest) thing to do is take a diet. If you are already skinny, then you could reduce the weight of the bike and/or increase your power output by training hard.

Don't underestimate the difference weight makes to climbing - fat large riders no matter how fit or strong never climb well!

boydj

Legendary Member
It may be that the group you are out with like to kick on when they hit a hill. The difference between the fast bunch in my club and the next bunch down is that the fast bunch try to maintain the speed on the hills, while the next group tends to maintain the level of effort, so slow down on the hills. Living with the fast bunch takes a bit of getting used to. It might hurt, but it will make you stronger if you can hang in there.

OP
OP
D

daveplums

I think the message is pretty clear, thanks everybody.
I have started looking at other bikes, but I'll persist with my Trek for the time being.
Even though it can be quite gruelling at times, it is still very enjoyable.

Top Bottom