Is it ok to feel cheated if overtaken by an Ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
Coming home from work tonight and I was overtaken by a cyclist as if I was in reverse.
Now I accept being overtaken, there is always someone faster than myself. But this bloke was sat bolt upright and pedalling at about 50 rpm (if that), whilst I’m spinning at about 80 doing 18mph.
This just didn’t feel right, for some reason I just felt cheated. I know, sour grapes on my side.

I suppose it depends upon whether you’re out there because you enjoy cycling, or because you’re really competitive.

Personally, I hate it when I get overtaken by anyone. Bastards! :laugh:

Tom B

Guru
A few years ago before ebikes became common. I remember blowing my ass out catching an old bloke on what looked from a distance like an old clunker. I could bearly keep pace with him up a pretty steep hill. Gasping I pulled up behind him at some lights as they changed only for him to whirr away on the battery..

I've still yet to come close to that effort on the hill!

Flip it on its head, I love passing ebikes, aren't they speed limited?

The think that boils my bladder contents are those on strava who upload their ebikes rides as standard MTB rides.... There are a couple of guys around here who do it, include pictures of their ebikes and have the names like "ebikerjames" "ebikercharlie" I feel petulant flagging their rides.

Last edited:
I just beginning to feel close to normal now the pollen season is coming to an end and last Tuesday and was going up one of the near flat inclines (oxymoron :okay:) of the Cambridge guided busway at 21mph when another rider came cruising past barely pedalling #CHIPPEDEBIKE :wacko:

Its an improvement though on my last E bike overtake. I was going up a similar incline at circa 13mph when a e bike came by and slotted in in front of me. When on the other side of the near flat incline when I'd free wheel to circa 19mph; the bike still sat there at 15.5mph #NONCHIPPEDEBIKE :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Flip side of being passed is that some "doped" bike riders feel they "have to get past", even if what they're passing isn't built for speed. Why the need ti pass a loaded cargo cycle?

Top Bottom