Is it ok to feel cheated if overtaken by an Ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A few years ago, on tour, after a big (for my standards) hill, I was descending towards the regroup stop, when I see a couple of American tourists (I could hear them talking) on bikes, wobbling a bit precariously at low speed.
There was another small incline before the popular stop: I was ready to pass them, when the woman suddenly shot away at speed.
The incredulous expression in my face must have said it all, because her partner, still riding next to me, offered, almost apologetic " we're on ebikes, it's our holiday, you know, we don't want to tire out too fast ..." :laugh:

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
I thought they were supposed to stop assisting at 15mph.

I didn’t give chase as I was taking it easy tonight, otherwise I might have seen what speed he was doing.

Being passed by an assisted bike at 18mph just isn’t cricket.

I should add I don’t have anything against ebikes, if they get more people cycling then that’s only a good thing.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I get quite concerned that people think I am racing them when in reality I am racing to get to pick up kids at nursery or get to work near enough on time.
Because of that I assume everyone else similarly spent too long staring into their cereal, or couldn't get their kids into a single nursery and had to plonk them in opposite sides of town. Or is that just me?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Coming home from work tonight and I was overtaken by a cyclist as if I was in reverse.
Now I accept being overtaken, there is always someone faster than myself. But this bloke was sat bolt upright and pedalling at about 50 rpm (if that), whilst I’m spinning at about 80 doing 18mph.
This just didn’t feel right, for some reason I just felt cheated. I know, sour grapes on my side.

I'll bet the bastard didn't even wave.

colly

Re member eR
I feel desperate if I'm overtaken.........................but there is SFA I can do about it. ^_^

Actually I really don't give a monkeys.

I didn’t give chase as I was taking it easy tonight, otherwise I might have seen what speed he was doing.

Being passed by an assisted bike at 18mph just isn’t cricket.

I should add I don’t have anything against ebikes, if they get more people cycling then that’s only a good thing.
They are legally (15 or 15.5mph I can't remember) but there's a lot of illegally chipped e bikes out there that have the limiter removed. I'd far rather having an illegal ebike doing 18-22mph near me than a car legally speeding (oxymoron).:okay:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
They are, but it's easy enough to derestrict them.

In general, Plod can't be bothered to do anything about it, but that doesn't mean they won't throw the book at anyone with the poor judgement to skittle a pedestrian whilst riding a derestricted ebike, and there would be a fair amount of book to throw (as that chap in London on the no-brakes fixie can testify).

I'm of the view that the increasing popularity of ebikes is a good thing because it adds another entry to the list of viable excuses when easily overtaken
Namely, "I've evidently ridden farther than them", "they must have sat on my wheel without me noticing", "I'm recovering from injury"
Oddly enough the list doesn't contain "i have completely let myself go", personal responsibility, what's that? :whistle:

Top Bottom