Is it ok to feel cheated if overtaken by an Ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And people forget that a switchable bike, ie, a full power machine that can be restricted to road spec at the flick of a swith is also not legal, probably because the temptation is too much for most brain donors. Unsurprisingly, there's a gap in the regs about messing with electronic menus to achieve legal output.

The chumps will ruin it for everyone and the Government will follow NI's lead in insisting they are all licenced, registered and documented.

Julia9054

Guru
People ride ebikes for all sorts of reasons. Your overtaker due to his age or health may be putting in more effort than you.
I did an off road ride recently (something i rarely do due due to lack of skill!). Saw 2 tourists on hired eMTBs shoot up a really steep stony track easily. "Not having that!" thought i, and tried it on my gravel bike. Crashed at the top and made a right mess of my leg!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was overtaken by what at first looked like a standard mountain bike when I was coming home from work several years back. The fact that I was on my motorbike and doing around 30mph was quite perplexing. I followed him onto the A41 at Stanmore and caught up with him at 45mph! it was an E bike, obviously de restricted and highly modified. I have no idea what kind of battery would produce that kind of power, for such a long time. I turned off at Apex corner and he carried onto the A1 still at around the 40mph mark.:eek:

Drago

Legendary Member
These folk are utter idiots. Driving otherwise in accordance with a licence - fairly standard 6 points. Driving A motor vehicle without insurance - again, a fairly standard 6 points. Those that drive cars risk losing their licence in one go, never mind the grief if they smack into someone without insurance.

People do get stuck on for it (a Google search brings up a few folk, almost all whining aboitnthe injustice of it all) but not enough. I'd quite like an e assist bike when I'm old, but these chumps will get the, legislated off the road without insurance, plates, mot, by which time I may as well ride my motorbikes anyway. I'm now really angry for the rest of the day. Grrrr.....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think i might have had one trying to 'scalp' me yesterday. I'm not sure,but it had flat handlebars and quite a large downtube,which might've been the battery. Anyway,he made the mistake of going onto the shared ped'/cyclist lane which meant he had to stop at every junction,while i just sailed along on the road. Don't they make a slight whirring/humming noise? If i ever end up on one i'll be feeling slightly embarrassed if/when i overtake someone on a 'proper bike'.:blush:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
These folk are utter idiots. Driving otherwise in accordance with a licence - fairly standard 6 points. Driving A motor vehicle without insurance - again, a fairly standard 6 points. Those that drive cars risk losing their licence in one go, never mind the grief if they smack into someone without insurance.

People do get stuck on for it (a Google search brings up a few folk, almost all whining aboitnthe injustice of it all) but not enough. I'd quite like an e assist bike when I'm old, but these chumps will get the, legislated off the road without insurance, plates, mot, by which time I may as well ride my motorbikes anyway. I'm now really angry for the rest of the day. Grrrr.....
61WhlijioZL._UX342_.jpg

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
I think i might have had one trying to 'scalp' me yesterday. I'm not sure,but it had flat handlebars and quite a large downtube,which might've been the battery. Anyway,he made the mistake of going onto the shared ped'/cyclist lane which meant he had to stop at every junction,while i just sailed along on the road. Don't they make a slight whirring/humming noise? If i ever end up on one i'll be feeling slightly embarrassed if/when i overtake someone on a 'proper bike'.:blush:

Yes they make a whirring noise. Well at least the ones I normally overtake do, and this one last night sounded like a battery drill on steroids.

Top Bottom