Is it ok to feel cheated if overtaken by an Ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TigerT

Veteran
Out here you can pick your fights with e-bikes. Ones with no number plate will be limited to 25km/h these should be chased down and overtaken - they are there just to provide a target to aim for! If they have a number plate then they are derestricted no need to feel bad about these passing you.

On a serious note e-bikes are extremely popular in Switzerland. I bought one myself when I hurt my knees a couple of years ago. It was a better option than not cycling. Switzerland also has more than its fair share of hills, so getting passsd on hills by OAPs zooming up hills with maximum assistance is just one of those things. Good on them for getting out on their bikes.

colly

Re member eR
POB ?

I had my first e-bike overtake a few weeks ago whilst toiling up an incline. A chap in normal clothes went past me with ease on a rather basic looking beast and I suspected it was an e-bike but could not see either a battery or a motor, which worried me slightly, enough to glance down at my speedo to see if I was actually moving and I finally caught him some way down the road just before another incline and passed him, whereupon he must have turned up the volume and glided past me again but this time I was relieved to spy the battery and the handlebar control.

The other one I came across recently was a middle aged couple towing a trailer with a hound in it. She had a normal bike but he had an e-bike to tow the trailer which I thought was pretty cool, it wasn't a small hound either.

If anyone has ever seen Pale Riders bike it's mightily impressive and looks the biz, I think they're great things, no issues at all being overtaken by one.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm more concerned about people on bikes overtaking me when I'm using the E-bike!
I do only use it for commuting - a 14 mile round trip.
My workplace doesn't have a shower, and when it's as warm as this I prefer not to arrive as a sweaty, dripping molten mass.
Once the heat's back down in the teens I'll be on the road bike.

nickAKA

Über Member
The other one I came across recently was a middle aged couple towing a trailer with a hound in it. She had a normal bike but he had an e-bike to tow the trailer which I thought was pretty cool, it wasn't a small hound either.

Not on the Monsal Trail by any chance? Saw similar on Sunday, massive thing. Looked like it could do with the exercise but guessing the legs were incapable of carrying the bulk...

Not on the Monsal Trail by any chance? Saw similar on Sunday, massive thing. Looked like it could do with the exercise but guessing the legs were incapable of carrying the bulk...
No, up on the Wirral and the dog was quite fit, just not capable of running 30 miles with the bikes on roads.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Toiling up Mam Nick (a hard Peak District climb up to 25%) and I heard someone behind me

Not unusual on a tough climb but looked around to see someone on a MTB, sitting up and looking pretty fresh (I was down to about 7km/HR by then). Tried to push on but she had the decency not to overtake me and eventually she stopped to take a photo (she told me this, I couldn't even speak at the time)

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Of course you should feel cheated when overtaken by an ebike. You should feel cheated when you are overtaken by any bike.
Reasons;
It's electric assist.
It's got a better group set.
It's carbon/alu/titanium etc.
It's got better rolling tyres.
I've just gone really fast and now I'm a bit puffed.
I've just gone really far and now I'm a bit puffed.
Etc, etc, etc
The important thing is that when/ if you are overtaken it is never due to your lack of ability or fitness or whatever, it's ALWAYS that the overtaker has some unfair advantage, always!!
If you are riding an old steel tourer all the above apply and you need not feel inferior.

Get your self a sticker 'My other bike is carbon'.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Toiling up Mam Nick (a hard Peak District climb up to 25%) and I heard someone behind me

Not unusual on a tough climb but looked around to see someone on a MTB, sitting up and looking pretty fresh (I was down to about 7km/HR by then). Tried to push on but she had the decency not to overtake me and eventually she stopped to take a photo (she told me this, I couldn't even speak at the time)

There's been a few times on my ebike when I've closed on a roadie on a climb and decided not to go past - sensitive soul that I am.

The roadie will almost certainly be faster than me on the flat, so there's no point in passing only to be passed a few seconds later.

I've had roadies take me on a couple of times after they've obviously seen I'm on an ebike.

I suspect some enjoy the opportunity of riding with someone who can be as quick as them.

@ColinJ's pal Bill was chuffed when I paced him up a long climb, and there's been a couple of other occasions on forum rides when I've come in handy being able to plod away at the front into a headwind.

Top Bottom