Is it ok to feel cheated if overtaken by an Ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
So it seems quite a few on here are not actually proper cyclists at all, but are in fact Ebike riders. The shame. Perhaps Cyclechat should change it's name to EbikeChat? The fundamental principle of cycling is that it is all your own effort.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
At the very least owners should have to take a test, be required to wear a motorcycle helmet as I said in my initial comment, be licensed and have insurance as do other road users who use vehicles with a motor on public roads or

Christ, I thought you were taking the micky the first time you wrote that!

The requirement for a test, licence and insurance are for motorised vehicles which present a serious risk of harm to people and property. Is there any evidence that ebikes are causing such serious harm?

If, as I suspect, there is not, then your only motivation for calling for those measures is spite.

Please, Cranky, tell me you're at the wind up.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Aside from the ethical issues of mechanical doping see my other posts. Cycling means All Your Own Effort. If people want to ride a motorbike then take a bike test and buy a motorbike or get a mobility scooter.
It means "all your own effort" to you. It can mean other things to other people

You seem awfully upset about something so trivial it doesn't even register as a blip on my "upset" radar

A person on an ebike is a person not in a car. If the assistance is properly limited to 15mph or whatever it's just a push bike

Tim Hall

Given you have asked why clearly shows you don't understand.
That'll be why I asked. It's generally how this stuff works. Person A states something. Person B doesn't understand it and asks for clarification. Person A then (hopefully) provides clarification, which you seem to have tried to do in another post.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It means "all your own effort" to you. It can mean other things to other people

You seem awfully upset about something so trivial it doesn't even register as a blip on my "upset" radar

A person on an ebike is a person not in a car. If the assistance is properly limited to 15mph or whatever it's just a push bike

Agree with that.
Having an ebike in the stable aided Mrs OFT to get back to fitness after major surgery. I'm sure hers is not an isolated case.
I see many people on ebikes who probably would be in cars, without the aid of pedal assist. These people may be elderly, disabled, or overweight with the will to change.
Ebikes are a good thing - the only drawback are the arsewipes who buck the rules.

Tim Hall

Aside from the ethical issues of mechanical doping see my other posts. Cycling means All Your Own Effort. If people want to ride a motorbike then take a bike test and buy a motorbike or get a mobility scooter.
What's your view on drafting and being drafted? After all it's not All Your Own effort if you're tucked in behind another rider.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Ebikes are a good thing - the only drawback are the arsewipes who buck the rules.
I dunno, the arsewipes that whinge and whine about them are a bit of a pill too.

zak3737

Über Member
So it seems quite a few on here are not actually proper cyclists at all, but are in fact Ebike riders. The shame. Perhaps Cyclechat should change it's name to EbikeChat? The fundamental principle of cycling is that it is all your own effort.

I feel such a failure, my ride last night seems such a waste now, a measly 23miles which incorporated 3 climbs that i'd never normally willingly undertake, albeit with the assistance of up to 400W.
I feel ashamed to have had the chance to look at the views around me as I climbed, whilst whistling the theme tune from Last of the Summer Wine, and generally enjoying myself.

TigerT

Veteran
I feel such a failure, my ride last night seems such a waste now, a measly 23miles which incorporated 3 climbs that i'd never normally willingly undertake, albeit with the assistance of up to 400W.
I feel ashamed to have had the chance to look at the views around me as I climbed, whilst whistling the theme tune from Last of the Summer Wine, and generally enjoying myself.

Me too - When I hurt my knees a couple of years ago. Clearly I should have given up cycling for a year until they healed.

Top Bottom