Is it ok to feel cheated if overtaken by an Ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I think i might have had one trying to 'scalp' me yesterday. I'm not sure,but it had flat handlebars and quite a large downtube,which might've been the battery. Anyway,he made the mistake of going onto the shared ped'/cyclist lane which meant he had to stop at every junction,while i just sailed along on the road. Don't they make a slight whirring/humming noise? If i ever end up on one i'll be feeling slightly embarrassed if/when i overtake someone on a 'proper bike'.:blush:

Yes, there are loads of these bikes whirring away as they pass on the GBW. Quite a few Spesh S works bikes emitting disconcertingly loud whirring noise as they pass too. Lazy cheating f****s. These people have no shame. I've even had them trying to draft me.

E-bikes are just wrong on so many fronts. They need to be properly regulated, licensed and riders required to have insurance and wear proper helmets as in motorcycle helmets. If you want an E-bike you should have to take a motorcycle test and pass.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
E-bikes are just wrong on so many fronts. They need to be properly regulated, licensed and riders required to have insurance and wear proper helmets as in motorcycle helmets. If you want an E-bike you should have to take a motorcycle test and pass.
What, for 15.5mph? :rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yeah there are loads of these bikes whirring away as they pass on the GBW. Quite a few Spesh S works bikes emitting disconcertingly loud whirring noise as they pass too. Lazy cheating f****s. These people have no shame. I've even had them trying to draft me.

What about the 'road tax'?! You didn't mention fecking road tax! The feckers should be paying fecking road tax as well!!:ninja:

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Yeah there are loads of these bikes whirring away as they pass on the GBW. Quite a few Spesh S works bikes emitting disconcertingly loud whirring noise as they pass too. Lazy cheating f****s. These people have no shame. I've even had them trying to draft me.

Why?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

"cheating" at what exactly?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

cheating" at what exactly?
I think he's being sarcastic. What they call black humour maybe.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Must admit I did use @Pale Rider as a nice tow at times when he joined us on one of our rides down to Brighton.

Passing Gatwick, as I recall.

The pace was plenty for me so I went to the front partly to see if I could slow the ride a little - I think David Millar would call it 'controlling the peloton'.

Worked for a short distance, but then I slowed just a little more and a couple of the others popped past me.

I was out accelerated by almost everyone at the next roundabout so that left me where I started - at the back.

All good fun, and I learned a lot that day about fastish road riding in a group.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
"cheating" at what exactly?

Cheating. Since Cain and Abel, it has been human nature to get one over on your fellow man or woman or brother or sister, if you think you won't be found out or caught. E-bikes are cheating plain and simple whether mechanical doping in sportive or pro races where competitors have been kicked out of events and banned, not to mention the public shaming at resorting to using a bicycle with a motor, to more general cycling. They are also using infrastructure put in place for cyclists who most are typically travelling more slowly than E-bike therefore posing less of a risk to other cyclists and pedestrians on designated cycle/ped paths. Ebikes seem so wrong. At the very least these bikes should be properly regulated and the owners who interfere with the motors to make them go even faster should be prosecuted. It is the market that has decided that these bikes are a good thing. Where business and making money calls the shots it generally ends in tears and regulation has to come in. At the very least owners should have to take a test, be required to wear a motorcycle helmet as I said in my initial comment, be licensed and have insurance as do other road users who use vehicles with a motor on public roads or land.

Neither are Ebikes environmentally friendly with powerful batteries harmful to the environment in either their manufacture, replacement or disposal. A traditional bicycle with no motor does has far less of an impact on the environment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom