Is it ok to feel cheated if overtaken by an Ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would advise anyone not to take Crankarm seriously or respond to his foolish posts. I'd say he was trolling but I've read enough of his stuff over the years to know he could mean it but it's a waste of time folks.

Talking of e-bikes, I managed to skin one today. It was definitely restricted though. There was that nagging feeling he was gonna come past me as I slowed slightly for an incline but phew, he didn't. Crankers would have yelled cheat at him as he went past.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd forgotten about this until now.... when we rode the tandem up Mt Ventoux the other week there was a couple in their 60's at the top on those Giant electric road bikes.

Good for them!

Tin Pot

Guru
I’m sure the thread already holds my view, but never. The. Less...when someone walks past me in the street, do I leap after them and make sure I get to the next crossing first?

When going up the stairs at work, if someone tries to hurry past me...do I block them? ...Trip them?

On the motorway...etc.

Now I accept being overtaken.

You say that, but...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've absolutely no problems with ebikes. Went out with a couple of lads this year that had them, and off road climbs that are seriously on your limit trying to climb and get over rocks without stalling, these things rock - they just roll over like they are on a day trip.

That said, the eMTB lads have been through more than one bike under warranty due to the motor - the tech isn't here just yet for MTB mud abuse.

MiK1138

Veteran
No. they are what they are, and as previously stated most cut out at 15mph, so if your passed at 20mph the rider is working to maintain that speed and probably on a much heavier bike than you.

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
To be honest I started this as a bit of a joke, so the replies have been interesting.

My opinion is that this rider was cheating, not because they were riding an Ebike, but because they were riding an Ebike that had obviously been modified. Which gives a misleading impression of Ebikes.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There's a woman just up the road from my shop that has an ebike, I quite often see her nipping around on it, I have never ever seen her turn a pedal, she uses it as an electric moped, mind, I've also never seen her in anything other than trousers and jacket even in this heat, so it's probably just as well she's not pedaling it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
So it seems quite a few on here are not actually proper cyclists at all, but are in fact . The shame. Perhaps Cyclechat should change it's name to EbikeChat? The fundamental principle of cycling is that it is all your own effort.
I'm still trying to be a proper cyclist, but as the arteries in my groin and calves become more reluctant to allow blood to reach my muscles, I'm ashamed to say I will soon have to give up being a PROPER cyclist, and join the ranks of the Ebike riders - I apologise, Crankarm, I really do ....... :notworthy:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'm still trying to be a proper cyclist, but as the arteries in my groin and calves become more reluctant to allow blood to reach my muscles, I'm ashamed to say I will soon have to give up being a PROPER cyclist, and join the ranks of the Ebike riders - I apologise, Crankarm, I really do ....... :notworthy:

And why not? There’s a very good reason 53% of bike sales in the NL are ebikes. They make a lot of sense and no one should feel they are a demotion. Go for it. Ditch the shame.

The puritans of cycling are as bad as wine snobs. Almost. Whatever real cyclists are.

Top Bottom