Is it okay to wheel my bike around Aldi?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

It's unlikely that the staff would agree to watch it. They wouldn't want any responsibility for and might not be on that till for long.

Agree with that. They don't have time to watch people's bikes. Too busy sorting out endless problems with self-service checkouts, stocking shelfs etc.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If they don't let you wheel it round then it is back to plan A...

A whacking big lock like mine!

OnGuard Brute u-lock.jpg

I have never seen anyone wheel one round a supermarket here

SOme are left inside - either not locked at all or locked to a handrail out of the way

Personally I lock mine to the cycle parking rails outside - although there is no CCTV out there (I checked) and an angle grinder would go through the hoops in seconds - still......

ExBrit

Über Member
I have never seen anyone wheel one round a supermarket here

SOme are left inside - either not locked at all or locked to a handrail out of the way

Personally I lock mine to the cycle parking rails outside - although there is no CCTV out there (I checked) and an angle grinder would go through the hoops in seconds - still......

I have found the best theft deterrent is a Huffy decal. In the UK I expect a Eurobike decal would have the same effect.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Having had the unfortunate circumstances of working at a supermarket. I can tell you they'll most likely refuse you entry on health and safety grounds. If not for themselves then for the safety of other customers... Although I have worked in other branches where they have let people wheel a bike in. I Just automatically assume the answer is going to be no although they may allow you to bring it in, rest it somewhere so they can keep an eye on it while you quickly grab a few items.

Windle

Über Member
I've never seen anyone wheeling a bike round a supermarket either, but on the subject of health and safety ~ Lidl in particular seem to have theirs set up as some kind of obstacle course. Working in construction you get the H & S thing ingrained and walking round these places gives me the heebee geebees! Stuff dumped in the aisles on pallets, baskets of produce complete with sharp edges positioned across half the aisles, stuff sticking out of the middle aisles (broom handles, step ladders, chainsaws, diving suit flippers ~ you know the kind of thing), loose, slippy plastic strewn about the floor, numerous unattended spillages. A favourite is the large cardboard boxes that tissues / bog rolls come in, torn open and with bits of stiff cardboard sticking out at the eye level of small folk / kids. If that was a building site the HSE would close it down :eek:.

Reactions: C R
Some supermarkets are quite crowded - I'd imagine a bike would be a pain in those.
I have carried my folded Brompton around supermarkets before now. I think there's a way to use it as a wheeled basket too if you have the bag on the front.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Same here, although in my case Sainsbury's. Not sure what the problem is to be honest but if it's their policy , there's nowt I can do about it.

There may be a policy held by head office, which may or may not trickle down to area/store managers. There's also interpretation and lack of communication my managers, security staff and general staff. So that's the first issue. It might be that no-one knows, or chooses to make their own policy out of the blue, or is just a power hungry member of staff who doesn't like cyclists (like a lady I used to work in the co-op with, but to be fair she didn't like anyone).

The second issue, if a store has such a policy in place, is that of the blurred lines between a sensible person wheeling a bike around the store, and a group of teenagers wheeling their BMXs around (being silly and dangerous). They'd rather just make one rule to inconvenience the sensible ones, so they can cover against problematic behaviour with the ill-behaved minority.

And thirdly, it is a question of responsibility/liability etc. If they let you leave your bike in the store, they are essentially saying "we'll take responsibility for it". No forms or agreements have been signed so it's already risky. Then if someone nicks your bike, you could hold them responsible. You wouldn't of course, but you could, and that's what they're worried about.

Fourthly, you leave your bike in the store and a partially-sighted person gashes their leg on your sprockets. Who's responsible then?

They just don't want the hassle, and sadly in today's suing culture you can see why.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just to add, although a bit OT. I was in Lidl some months ago just standing in the aisle looking at the vegetables. A lad came past with a huge stacked crate of groceries on a pallet truck (probably 6ft high). He wheeled it past me at pace and caught my ankle. I shouted in pain (and a mild expletive). He just said "sorry mate". I said "yes, so am I" and let it go. But I wonder what their repsonse would have been had I taken it any further, as some people would have. Do they have a policy on that? Or would they just give me a £5 voucher and hope I went away

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
Same here, although in my case Sainsbury's. Not sure what the problem is to be honest but if it's their policy , there's nowt I can do about it.

Last year I needed to call quickly in to a Sainsbury's Local on my way home to get the newspaper. No lock with me. I was going to just leave the bike outside, hopefully in view for all the time I would be in the shop, but the security guard seeing me, suggested I bring it in and leave it just inside the door (out of the way). I hadn't even thought to ask if I could.

KneesUp

Guru
at one of the little Tescos near us the security guy let’s you leave your bike near his security lectern thing.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've never seen anyone wheeling a bike round a supermarket either, but on the subject of health and safety ~ Lidl in particular seem to have theirs set up as some kind of obstacle course. Working in construction you get the H & S thing ingrained and walking round these places gives me the heebee geebees! Stuff dumped in the aisles on pallets, baskets of produce complete with sharp edges positioned across half the aisles, stuff sticking out of the middle aisles (broom handles, step ladders, chainsaws, diving suit flippers ~ you know the kind of thing), loose, slippy plastic strewn about the floor, numerous unattended spillages. A favourite is the large cardboard boxes that tissues / bog rolls come in, torn open and with bits of stiff cardboard sticking out at the eye level of small folk / kids. If that was a building site the HSE would close it down :eek:.

That's one of the reason's I stopped going to Morrison's here. The most dangerous things, I thought, were empty pallets in the middle of the floor in the fruit and veg section. I could just imagine people browsing the displays of fruit & veg and not seeing the low level trip hazard on the floor. And being the only town centre supermarket it's very popular with elderly people.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Last year I needed to call quickly in to a Sainsbury's Local on my way home to get the newspaper. No lock with me. I was going to just leave the bike outside, hopefully in view for all the time I would be in the shop, but the security guard seeing me, suggested I bring it in and leave it just inside the door (out of the way). I hadn't even thought to ask if I could.

I have not seen people wheeling their bike around supermarkets, but I have seen them left just inside behind the checkouts so that they are more or less out of the way.

Top Bottom