Is it okay to wheel my bike around Aldi?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I got a bit of lip when I wheeled my full-sized bike through the aisles and checkout queue of M&S. Not from staff, it was customers who moaned.

A lot of bikes do have rather wide handlebars
and a lot of pedals have sharp edges and stuff on them - as my shins have been able to attest on a few occaisions

and a lot of supermarket aisles can be crowded and have various blockages in places

so I can see why people might regard a bike as being inappropriate

especially in wet weather when it might also leave wet/muddy tracks behind for shop staff to clean up after it

Although I do think a lot of big supermarket companies could do with putting some more effort into providing secure and monitored cycle parking!

might even write to my MP about it - I write any more letters and I will become known as Mrs Trellis (not from North Wales - although I used to be!)

Reactions: C R

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
...or any supermarket for that matter.

Don't always have a bike lock with me when I need to pop in.

Obviously I'd wipe down the wheels if they're wet/dirty before entering. I'm not an animal.

it very much depends. The security guard in my local Tesco lets me park the bike by the baskets. One of the security guards in my local Aldi was quite arsy about my bike, until told him was a member of staff and he quickly wound his neck in. I tend to park it in a convenient place, out of the way rather than wheel it around the store. But saying that... my personal opinion is if people can push trollies, prams, pushchairs, wheelchairs or drive stupidly huge mobility vehicles around a shop, then a bike shouldn't be a problem either.

At the end of the day any shop is a private premises. You have no right of entry and everything is at staff/managers' discretion.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As much as I like to push the limits of my entitlement with the bike, wheeling a full size example around a supermarket would make me uncomfortable and tbh given how much the public inexplicibly hate us anyway, would very likely be seen as taking the pish.

Bromptons appear to be a law unto themselves however, and many (myself included) seem to have no issues wheeling them around in a mostly-folded state. I must admit yesterday as I approached the large, inviting Sainsbury's doors on the B, I was very tempted to just smash my way in and do a lap of the place - bet you could easily get away with it before anyone was willing or able to stop you. Probably not a very efficient way to gather shopping, however..

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
As much as I like to push the limits of my entitlement with the bike, wheeling a full size bike around a supermarket would make me uncomfortable and tbh given how much the public inexplicibly hate us anyway, would very likely be seen as taking the pish.

Bromptons appear to be a law unto themselves however, and many (myself included) seem to have no issues wheeling them around in a mostly-folded state. I must admit yesterday as I approached the large, inviting Sainsbury's doors on the B, I was very tempted to just smash my way in and do a lap of the place - bet you could easily get away with it before anyone was willing or able to stop you... probably not a very efficient way to gather shopping, however..

There are things I'd do with a Brompton that I wouldn't do with a full size bike. I've partially folded mine to go into a 24 hour petrol station/mini market with no issues, though it was around midnight. I've partially folded it to use the loo at a Sainsburys and no one has turned a hair. This was around 9:30 am on a weekday. If all else fails, you could fold it and stick it in a trolley. I've seen local teenagers leave their MTBs in the foyer at Asda with no apparent problems. Perhaps it's a matter of picking your time and place.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Not a supermarket, but every morning our front of house staff receive their morning briefing and end by reciting… no dogs except assistance dfogs and no bikes.

Maybe claim it's an assistance bike...

Kingfisher101

Ăśber Member
I think you would get called names/ sworn at if you did that at our local Aldi. Theres hardly enough room for a start and they are always filling the shelves. I've left a bike with security before now at Asda/Sainsburys but they were a different set up to Aldi. I think you are asking for a row at Aldi personally.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I will always test the limits due to crap cycle parking provision. I have done Morrisons, Aldi. When questioned I point out the vast car park and crap cycle parking and the myriad of buggies, mobility scooters and my bike can't be any more of a danger politely. I then carry on and only once was I asked to leave. Never been insulted by other shoppers.

It would take a very brazen thief to nick the bike from within the store while staff were watching!

About twenty years ago, as part of my job for the family business I used to get trade in the local Tesco by handing out leaflets and talking to people.

I would always get people asking to look after their bikes. I was happy to do that but on more than one occasion had to stop working to protect the bike of someone that hadn't bothered to take a lock. I started refusing in the end saying that it was the middle of a big town and that any bike that wasn't locked was likely to be stolen.

I wouldn't take a bike into a supermarket, no. People have to clean after you - I don't think "wiping the wheels down" before you go in would keep the floors clean (I know they have to clean the floors in supermarkets anyway, but why make it harder for them?). And speaking as a customer I'd be annoyed if I was wearing nice clothes and someone rubbed a bike they were pushing into me, or I ended up being clipped on the shin by a pedal. It feels a bit entitled.

If you are going to a supermarket to buy things, surely a lock wouldn't make that much difference?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Some supermarkets are quite crowded - I'd imagine a bike would be a pain in those.
I have carried my folded Brompton around supermarkets before now. I think there's a way to use it as a wheeled basket too if you have the bag on the front.

Nobody's batted an eyelid when I've used my Brompton in shopping trolley mode.

Screenshot_20230719-192417-01.jpeg

Top Bottom