Is it okay to wheel my bike around Aldi?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is a good point about people being OK with buggies and mobility scooters

However, these are for people that can;t otherwise walk around the shop - and kids can be put in trollies in theory (!)

whereas bikes are for people who are perfectly able to walk around with no large metal device poised to ram people

mind you - the MTB pedals on my ebike are far less dangerous that some people I have seen with a trolley
(including my 1o year old grand-daughter - I keep a VERY close eye on her if she is "helping"!!)

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I'm thinking of taking my car into Lidl with me.

TK6RPLQZMH7XE7FSG5C7DCRUUM.gif

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
There are things I'd do with a Brompton that I wouldn't do with a full size bike. I've partially folded mine to go into a 24 hour petrol station/mini market with no issues, though it was around midnight. I've partially folded it to use the loo at a Sainsburys and no one has turned a hair. This was around 9:30 am on a weekday. If all else fails, you could fold it and stick it in a trolley. I've seen local teenagers leave their MTBs in the foyer at Asda with no apparent problems. Perhaps it's a matter of picking your time and place.

Aye; night and day IME. Full size bike - everyone hates you and it needs to be locked outside. Folded Brompton you can pretty much get away with taking anywhere.

As much as I love to view the non-cycling public as irrational, bigoted scumbags I think there is a large, legitimate difference in footprint and peceived size between the two.

a.twiddler

Veteran
If you can persuade people that your bike is a mobility aid you might get round any negativity. I wouldn't take a bike inside my local Aldi though as it's usually heaving. They don't tend to open fresh checkouts until the ones in use are really full.

presta

Guru
I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, one hand to wheel the bike, one to carry the basket, and what to pick up the groceries?
it was customers who moaned.
I think I would too, but apart from one feisty old lady, neither the customers nor the staff seem fazed by this lot.
One of the security guards in my local Aldi was quite arsy about my bike, until told him was a member of staff
The security guard was ejecting an undesirable from my local Tesco last month, whilst he repeatedly yelled at the top of his voice "My mum used to work here! My mum used to work here!". It didn't seem to make much difference, I don't know why.

I did once see a security guard arguing with a kid who wanted to ride his petrol powered skateboard around Tesco.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A lady in the cosmetics section at the entrance of Boots let me stash my bike behind her counter for a while a couple of years ago. I was surprised and delighted. It's always worth asking.

TrishE

Über Member
I work in a supermarket with a long row of stands in front of the store on camera so I haven't seen anyone wheel a bike around. If someone didn't have a lock I'm sure security or customer services would say to leave it behind them so it depends on the store. Colleagues wheel their bikes through and stash them in an area for them off the shop floor. The ones with motorcycles leave them between the bike stands, there's so many stands that there's room for everyone. Would hate to be working somewhere where a customer would be turned away, especially if safe bike parking wasn't provided.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, one hand to wheel the bike, one to carry the basket, and what to pick up the groceries?
I wasn't doing a weekly shop! Just buying a box of flapjacks to share on an overnight ride.

I think I would too, but apart from one feisty old lady, neither the customers nor the staff seem fazed by this lot.
Omg, aappalling behaviour (although i'm secretly jealous of the wheelie skills)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
To all the people claiming that it's irresponsible because the bicycle's wheels might leave a messy streak on the floor... shop floors get messed up really quickly, usually from customers fumbling a jar of pasta sauce or a big tub of yogurt, and all the customers who blindly push their trollies through the spillage. I've followed drips of milk up and down the aisles trying find which trolley it's in. When it's raining, everyone coming in messes up the floor. In the winter when we have to grit the entrance and carpark, that really leaves its mark! Bicycles really aren't a problem, yet by many, they're perceived to be.

Top Bottom