Is it okay to wheel my bike around Aldi?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
But you weren’t wheeling it up and down the aisles as suggested by the thread titles. I’ve popped into many a corner shop to grab a drink or snack but I’m not going to go round doing my weekly shop in a supermarket while wheeling the bike!

Agreed, and I wouldn't do that. But I don't think the post you responded to was suggesting wheeling it around the store either, but just "bring it inside".

vickster

Legendary Member
Agreed, and I wouldn't do that. But I don't think the post you responded to was suggesting wheeling it around the store either, but just "bring it inside".

The thread title does though…wheel my bike around Aldi..? Bringing it inside and leaving it by the door isn‘t the same to my mind!

rj.hr6

Photo shows "FREE PARKING" at Barclays Bank while using the inside ATM..no complaints so far from them. Wheel it into the pet shop across the road and load up with bird seed etc.....causes mild hysteria/curiosity among the other customers and staff, but never a complaint. Regularly push it round the Co-op and Aldi, filling the front bag with groceries, then use either the conveyor or self service check out....no complaints from either of them. Took it into the chemist to collect my meds one day, and the pharmacist advised me to turn the bright and flashing front light off in case it affected anybody in front and brought on an epileptic fit.....so now I do that every time I go into any of the local shops. I also put my trug full of grass cuttings in the front bag and cycle them to the tip, causing mild amusement once again and comments on how lucky I am to have such a small lawn. BromptOn....brilliant bit of kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_113004981.jpg
    IMG_20230629_113004981.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 4
No it isn't. They are different cases.

Wheelchair users need their wheelchairs to access the shop. Cyclists take their bikes in because they're too forgetful and/or lazy to take a lock.

And yes, it's true that floors need to be cleaned all the time, but why make more work for the people who have to clean the floor?

Supermarket cleaners are not your mum.

Whilst I agree with you about two different cases. My self I have a lock and a very good one but don't want to leave my bike exposed to scum in some places. Id rather carry the bike around the shop (I don't think its fair on cleaners etc to wheel it round).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Whilst I agree with you about two different cases. My self I have a lock and a very good one but don't want to leave my bike exposed to scum in some places. Id rather carry the bike around the shop (I don't think its fair on cleaners etc to wheel it round).

unless you've just been doing some very muddy riding, a bike is unlikely to cause more mess than a pushchair or mobility scooter, not to mention the boots of someone who's just been walking their dog along the canal towpath. :okay:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Everybody wears footwear. Not everybody has a dog, but you wouldn't be allowed to bring it inside the store unless it was a guide dog or similar. Not everybody has a bike, and even fewer bring them in store, but those who do depend on the staff's discretion, how crowded it is, and maybe local policy. It's not a right.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Everybody wears footwear. Not everybody has a dog, but you wouldn't be allowed to bring it inside the store unless it was a guide dog or similar. Not everybody has a bike, and even fewer bring them in store, but those who do depend on the staff's discretion, how crowded it is, and maybe local policy. It's not a right.

no one's claiming it is a right, or even that it should be.

In most cases it is about being reasonable

a small supermarket with wide aisles and not many people and dry tyres

no problem

a small supermarket at a busy time with lots of staff stacking shelves - more of a problem
also depends on the bike - if it has a decent chain guard and the pedals are not sharp then low problem from it
if the cogs and chain stick out and it has MTB pedals with sharp spikes on them - more of a problem

so - you need to work out how much you are going to be annoying and inconveniencing other people

low annoyance and inconvenience - OK go ahead
high annoyance and inconvenience - maybe not

just life really

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is a regular question on Brompton sites. My view is that it is their store and their rules. You can of course try it. But if they ask you to remove it. Dont argue, just move it. If everyone took their bikes in supermarkets where I live. It would be chaos. I would expect a blanket refusal.

Drago

Legendary Member
The problem is if they give permission then they could conceivably be liable, or co-liable, if your bear trap pedals severed someone's leg. If I ran a shop it would be a reluctant to say yes for that reason alone. What shopkeeper goes looking for potentially more aggravation?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
That happens sometimes at my Lidl, I blame the shop as there's no sineage to say its bicycle parking.

If I was an awkward sod I'd stack all those trolleys into one line into where the cars drive :laugh:

I've sent feedback to Lidl a couple of times asking for a sign to be put up, without response.
It's doubtful whether it would stop the lazy entitled feckers from leaving trolleys there anyway.
When there's 5 or fewer trolleys, I've rolled them back to the proper place, and I'm now £2 and 2 tokens to the good(!), but often the first trolley has had the coin removed with a screwdriver(?) or similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the bay advertises some device with the specific purpose of extracting coins from trolleys, to enable the ignorant gits to dump their trolley wherever they feel like it. Just wish they'd dump it in a car space rather than the only cycle park on site!

Edit: sure'nuff, lots available, e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19583864...5GtougaGDQFNC3nb0qve0Xd9m4vf|tkp:BFBMioz-xrFi

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom