Is it okay to wheel my bike around Aldi?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've gone into shops with the nice bike when I don't have a lock, or don't feel comfortable about the distance - whereas in a sleepy little village I might be happy leaving the bike outside the little shop.

In comparison, for an hour's stopover in Basingstoke last Sunday? While I had a chain lock, no bike racks outside the store. So...

View attachment 699571

That's not an issue though, you weren't wheeling it up and down the aisles as the OP's question. Coffee shops are generally fine with bikes especially if out of way. I happily take mine into Pret in Wimbledon if it's not busy (although if I know I'm going to stop I always have a D lock or Bordo and have no issue with locking up outside wherever I may be)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
So how would you have thought they might avoid being surrounded by roads & similar?
Are you suggesting that roads & similar are filthy dirty in a way that pavements are not?
Maybe yours are - in which case I'd expect you to exercise some common courtesy and not wheel your dirty bike indoors.

But other than ridiculous edge case scenarios like riding your bike to shops via claggy bridelway, it's ridiculous hysteria to say bike wheels will make shop floors dirty when there are orders of magniture more shoes doing exactly the same thing.

There are much better reasons to ban bikes from inside supermarkets - oily chains, painful sticky-out bits, taking up space in crowded busy aisles. We're back to courtesy again, and trolleys are almost as bad!

Hardly a big problem anyway. I've taken a bike into a supermarket precisely once in over 5 decades. I don't observe others doing it much either.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have no idea, but it happens.

I reckon if one has a lock, they'd lock it outside, but if not, that's when they'd prefer to bring it in store.
That's what I do in my local Aldi's and Tesco

Why would you not have a lock if you plan to go shopping?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

This is getting silly. Do i really need to justify everything i do and don't do. Someone asked if it was OK take a bike in to a shop. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It depends. I've not had many problems when i take my bike into a shop and I wouldn't have a problem if someone brought a bike into 'my' shop. That is all.

Alex321

Veteran

It isn't always planned.

In fact I had that issue on Wednesday. When I commute to work, I don't carry a lock, I leave one in work, and just carry the key. I then pop over to the Co-Op across the road for the daily newspaper.

But on Wednesday, they were out, so I had to stop on the way home for one. I stopped at a Tesco express, and just wheeled my bike inside, leaving it near the door but out of the way. Just as I got back to it, somebody else was doing the same :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
It isn't always planned.

In fact I had that issue on Wednesday. When I commute to work, I don't carry a lock, I leave one in work, and just carry the key. I then pop over to the Co-Op across the road for the daily newspaper.

But on Wednesday, they were out, so I had to stop on the way home for one. I stopped at a Tesco express, and just wheeled my bike inside, leaving it near the door but out of the way. Just as I got back to it, somebody else was doing the same :smile:

But you weren’t wheeling it up and down the aisles as suggested by the thread titles. I’ve popped into many a corner shop to grab a drink or snack but I’m not going to go round doing my weekly shop in a supermarket while wheeling the bike!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Mobility scooter? How are those different to a wheel chair, neither have 2 wheels
However E-scooters also fold up and are illegal anyhow

A moped. Like a 50cc or 125cc scooter. Although technically a moped is a classification for a learner legal 50cc motorcycle. Which is why I used the term scooter

Top Bottom