Is it okay to wheel my bike around Aldi?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
To all the people claiming that it's irresponsible because the bicycle's wheels might leave a messy streak on the floor... shop floors get messed up really quickly, usually from customers fumbling a jar of pasta sauce or a big tub of yogurt, and all the customers who blindly push their trollies through the spillage. I've followed drips of milk up and down the aisles trying find which trolley it's in. When it's raining, everyone coming in messes up the floor. In the winter when we have to grit the entrance and carpark, that really leaves its mark! Bicycles really aren't a problem, yet by many, they're perceived to be.

I don't agree. I've been on the other side of things, when bicycles have been brought in and have made dirty tyre marks, which as a staff member you then have to clean everywhere the person has been. Not the same as an accidental spillage of one thing which can be cleared up in a small area. Also, it's the potential to cause harm that is the issue. We mustn't assume that every bicycle owner is as responsible as you, and also that every other person in the store is as visially able as you. Accidents do happen and, even with all good intent, people could hurt themselves. But that's just my opinion, if the staff are ok with it then go right ahead

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't agree. I've been on the other side of things, when bicycles have been brought in and have made dirty tyre marks, which as a staff member you then have to clean everywhere the person has been. Not the same as an accidental spillage of one thing which can be cleared up in a small area. Also, it's the potential to cause harm that is the issue. We mustn't assume that every bicycle owner is as responsible as you, and also that every other person in the store is as visially able as you. Accidents do happen and, even with all good intent, people could hurt themselves. But that's just my opinion, if the staff are ok with it then go right ahead

Doesn’t he work for Aldi though?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
What about dirty footprints or don’t you mind those larger marks ?

They're unavoidable. Whereas you can avoid taking a bike into a shop. Everyone wears shoes but not everyone needs to bring a bike in. Personally if I was on my bike and had no lock, I would blame myself for forgetting my lock, rather than wheeling my bike around the shop. But as I said earlier, it's entirely up to the shop staff

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Arguing that bikes leave tyre tracks is as nonsensical as arguing that wheelchairs leave tyre tracks and thus are an annoyance to staff.
This is a silly line of debate in all honesty.

Arguing that bikes leave tyre tracks is as nonsensical as arguing that wheelchairs leave tyre tracks and thus are an annoyance to staff.

No it isn't. They are different cases.

Wheelchair users need their wheelchairs to access the shop. Cyclists take their bikes in because they're too forgetful and/or lazy to take a lock.

And yes, it's true that floors need to be cleaned all the time, but why make more work for the people who have to clean the floor?

Supermarket cleaners are not your mum.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm amazed to hear that Aldi stores are surrounded by so much dirt/mud/whatever.

So how would you have thought they might avoid being surrounded by roads & similar?

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not just the dirt. Bikes are potentially hazardous with all sorts of sticky outs bits and nasty drive trains into which to do not want to become entangled. Why do you think riders are advised - where reasonably possible - to be pushing from the nearside? Why do you think some of the unarmed defensive tactics I used to teach involve putting chainrings into attackers vulnerable bits?

In an ideal world stores would have better bike parking and take security more seriously. Until that time there are all sorts of altruistic reasons why one should not push one's steed around a shop, and only one selfish reason in favour,

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Here's the recently installed cycle parking provision at my local Lidl.
IMG_20230610_083350862.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
The line is easy to draw - no vehicles, other than those used by the disabled.

Let one category in and that gives ammo for the next lot to start moaning and whittling. The great British public have proven they can't be trusted on the road - or more likely the footway - with scooters, so it seems doubtful they'd suddenly become conscientious citizens while stocking up on bran flakes.

Solocle

Über Member
I've gone into shops with the nice bike when I don't have a lock, or don't feel comfortable about the distance - whereas in a sleepy little village I might be happy leaving the bike outside the little shop.

In comparison, for an hour's stopover in Basingstoke last Sunday? While I had a chain lock, no bike racks outside the store. So...

Capture1.JPG

Top Bottom