Is it worth it for a TT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm supposed to be doing a TT on Wednesday night (I've not really had a chance to get much miles in lately :blush:). Anyhow, I thought I'd give it a try on my trainer bike, which has regular round drop bars rather than the Bianchi which has flat profile (wing type) bars and borrow some clip ons. I'll change the pedals too from spd to spd-sl. Coincidently I've got a new set of Conti Gran Prix 4000s on the way if I fitted them do you think I see much difference over the Michelin Krylion Carbons (205g as oppose to 235g and 330tpi as oppose to 127tpi) on the bike. It might be psychological but the Conti's seem to grip better too. What do you think, if they come in time should I change the tyres too?

goody

Veteran
No, don't change them. Then If you don't win you can blame the poor tyre choice.

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm supposed to be doing a TT on Wednesday night (I've not really had a chance to get much miles in lately :blush:). Anyhow, I thought I'd give it a try on my trainer bike, which has regular round drop bars rather than the Bianchi which has flat profile (wing type) bars and borrow some clip ons. I'll change the pedals too from spd to spd-sl. Coincidently I've got a new set of Conti Gran Prix 4000s on the way if I fitted them do you think I see much difference over the Michelin Krylion Carbons (205g as oppose to 235g and 330tpi as oppose to 127tpi) on the bike. It might be psychological but the Conti's seem to grip better too. What do you think, if they come in time should I change the tyres too?

Might as well if the training is not up to much. All the changes sound pointless if you are not race fit, just ride the thing and see how you go. You may be surprised. Or not!!

I am no expert in these things, having only done the one TT, just used my road bike and got the heid doon, will be out tomorrow for another one too, same same.

Blimey, I could pontificate for hours just on tyres, if the paint is nearly dry I will ^_^, or if you have an insomnia problem I could very probably cure you, however........What I will say is that none of the "aero" stuff will give you much of an advantage [disagree with the helmet] until you understand what you are doing and have more experience / get quicker. Unless it is a technical spoco I would go with a hard compound tyre, the weight isn't going to make much difference unless there is lots of climbing.
Enjoy it and don't blast off too hard and blow up, I'm assuming it's a 10, go out at 80% for the first 3 miles, 85 - 90% for the next 6, then give it your all for the last mile, this is a rough and ready guide only. 5 minutes after you have finished you will feel great.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Whether it gained me anything rather than blisters on my thumbs I changed the tyres for the TT and got a time I was pleased with for my maiden 10mile TT. Based on half the course my Bianchi with wing profile bars was slightly better than the tri bars on the training bike (not much in it though 3secs) but I was training more then and it was only half the route and who says I would have lasted.

Could have been easier if I had descending skills/ guts; I hit 34.7mph other were talking about doing 40+ mph there.
That's still a great time for your first, in TT terms we call that a "gift" start or sometimes a ski slope start, looks like a good course, well done. My better half, dr_pink on here is doing the National 50 down in Cornwall on Saturday and the weather isn't going to be kind so I would think the times are not going to be quick.. Have a look at the Time Trialling forum, tons of good advice on there.

Top Bottom