Is strava worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

How good is strava and do you think it is worth the money? What has your experience been like using strava? Do they take you through good roads and do they use the most direct and fast route?

Jimidh

Veteran
Strava isn’t a route planning app as such rather it records your rides.

If you are looking for a route planner Komoot is worth a look.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I ended up paying , i tried the other route planning apps and found the strava one the most usable for me .
I like the ability to see popular routes, specify surface type , i found the garmin one would route me oddly off course to the point that it would route me down side roads off a main road where i had put course points right next to each other.
Others i tried i struggled with too as i like to plan my routes for rides to stops to get certain distance in and they seemed to just do direct routes.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Strava isn’t a route planning app as such rather it records your rides.

If you are looking for a route planner Komoot is worth a look.
Strava does do it, and has some useful features to assist. It is lacking in plenty of areas but heat maps are genuinely useful and result in generally reliable routes.

Still not worth my money (I use Ride With GPS who have just introduced something that is similar, but not as good).

For me, the main thing that stops Strava being a great route planner is that you need an external head unit for turn by turn navigation and cues. On mobile it’s just a track on screen to follow which means you need to look far too frequently!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Strava does do it, and has some useful features to assist. It is lacking in plenty of areas but heat maps are genuinely useful and result in generally reliable routes.

Still not worth my money (I use Ride With GPS who have just introduced something that is similar, but not as good).

For me, the main thing that stops Strava being a great route planner is that you need an external head unit for turn by turn navigation and cues. On mobile it’s just a track on screen to follow which means you need to look far too frequently!
works ofr me but as you say i use a garmin , not starting the whole which head unit is better debate :smile:

BurningLegs

Veteran
works ofr me but as you say i use a garmin , not starting the whole which head unit is better debate :smile:
I’m firmly in the “no head unit” camp. My smart phone is a far more capable device, but Strava cripple their smartphone app so they can stay in bed with Garmin.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
How good is strava and do you think it is worth the money? What has your experience been like using strava? Do they take you through good roads and do they use the most direct and fast route?
I find Strava is excellent for storing and reviewing my rides. It also lets me see what club mates have been up to and grab the routes if I like them.

I always replot the route myself in RWGPS as I don't have confidence in downloaded Strava gpx files to provide adequate navigation. I'll spend 30-60 minutes carefully reading a posted Strava route and then plotting it in the manner which suits me using RWGPS.

I would NEVER allow an app or website to plot a route for me - I've seen too many send me down a crappy cyclepath unsuited to my own riding style. I don't want to end up on a canal towpath.

I've been a paid for Strava user for four years. I pay because I want Strava to be there in 10 years time and I don't expect, unlike some, to receive the service for free. I'm therefore a strong supporter of the recent changes.

Last edited:
For more modern head units tcx files give better navigation
I'd respectfully disagree. I can't see how the navigation can be better with a tcx file?
I've used gpx files created usually on cycle.travel to do quite a bit of touring.
I actually prefer gpx files because I dislike turn by turn directions and when I go off course the last instruction stays on the screen of my device (Wahoo). I tend to go off course a lot ^_^

@Anonymous1502 I'm not a competitive cyclist, have no interest in performance indicators or using Strava for mapping, however, there is one feature I've come to love and that is the recording feature - and it's free!

At the end of the ride I can easily add any photos I've taken along the way, throw in comments if I fancy and hey presto I've got a complete record of my day's ride.
You can make them public, individually or generally so your "followers" can see them or you can keep them private just for you.

It can be quite rewarding to look back on previous rides and see more than just the stats.

One other handy use is to track wear and tear on the consumables - chains, tyres, cassettes etc. Just make a note of your mileage when putting on something new.

Noblester

Used Strava ever since I started cycling. Found it a great for motivating me to to go faster/longer. Cycled from North London to the New Forest using the Strava route planner. Input the start/end location. Uploaded to my Garmin. 96 miles Door to door no problems . I have also paid to subscribe this year to give something back.

Top Bottom