is the MTB future 29" or 27.5"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I remember reading one of the MTB comics a few years back, they were testing the difference between 26" 650b & 29 er's, after reading all the cobblers that was written, they had produced a graph to prove how amazing 29 er's were, by showing not too much speed difference between 26" & 27.5" with a huge inferred difference by the 29er, when you read the actual figures it was just a handful of seconds between 26" & 29er, it was just marketing rubbish served up as journalism.

Riding a bike is surely not just about speed, different horses and all that stuff.

There is a bloke at one of the garages I worrk at and he is often running down the 29er, he has not got one nor has he ever ridden one, but boy is he expert on them.

The guy at my LBS hinted that they couldn't shift them,and I think that's a real shame.
Reason being is that they are one of my favourite brands(certainly in the 90's) in Marin.
I don't think there is anything wrong with them,they just don't suit my style.
Put it this way,if I was wanting to open up a can of Whup Ass on open fireroad trails,I would not hesitate.
I've said before,a guy I rode with had a 29er and killed me on the straights,whilst I made up for the 20 ft(ish) gap on the corners.
Swings and roundabouts

No, he beat you on the straights because he was a stronger rider than you. You beat him on the corners because you were better in corners.

DRM

Guru
Riding a bike is surely not just about speed, different horses and all that stuff.

There is a bloke at one of the garages I worrk at and he is often running down the 29er, he has not got one nor has he ever ridden one, but boy is he expert on them.
But thats the thing, the bars on the graph were made to show a vast difference, the numbers didn't match the implied difference, the magazines test was speed around a set course on three different wheel sized bikes, the article was utter tosh, if I could see through it, I don't see why others couldn't, doesn't
matter that my MTB is perfectly capable & runs on 26" wheels, I could well be faster than someone on a 29er, someone else on a penny farthing could be faster then me, doesn't bother me I just get out & enjoy the ride, on or off road.

Kajjal

Guru
Both sizes you mention are popular enough and show no signs of going anywhere. No one can guess what crazy nonsense bike manufacturers will dream up ten years in the future. Just get the bike you like the most.

screenman

Legendary Member
But thats the thing, the bars on the graph were made to show a vast difference, the numbers didn't match the implied difference, the magazines test was speed around a set course on three different wheel sized bikes, the article was utter tosh, if I could see through it, I don't see why others couldn't, doesn't
matter that my MTB is perfectly capable & runs on 26" wheels, I could well be faster than someone on a 29er, someone else on a penny farthing could be faster then me, doesn't bother me I just get out & enjoy the ride, on or off road.

What we sometimes forget is that a lot of people enjoy reading fiction, I used to like a bit of John Grisham, or even Nick Spalding.

What do you mean by "The speed they can carry of a whole course.?

Sorry, bad typing on a cell phone...the speed they can carry over a whole course. Which for me and the trails I ride means I'm generally significantly faster riding my 29er than my 26er. Trails round here are generally wooded trails with roots, packed in clay and sand, no rock gardens, no climbs more than 50ft, single track with a few twisty sections. Fast trails where averaging +14mph is very possible and only ever ridden semi-dry and dry.

As an example of carrying more speed, on the few short downhill sections we have and as I hit a level section of trail again, I consistently roll further and faster on a 29er than a 26er. I noticed this day one from owning a 29er.

I don't ride in the mud, so mud clearance isn't an issue. I don't ride many rock gardens, so don't need a mega-strong wheel. No real climbing round here, so weight isn't a big issue. The few really tight twisty sections of trail are quite navigable on the 29er, and while I would be quicker on the 26er on such sections over the whole course I'd be slower.

Colin_P

Guru
The pragmatic answer is to ride what works best for you and having the choice between three sizes is good.

The practical answer, for me is how big you are. I think the 700c / 29r wheelers can look quite odd in smaller frames and vica versa 26's in a large frame. Being towards the taller end of what humans grow to I prefer bigger wheels as they fit and scale up better on the bigger bikes I need to ride. My old 26" wheeler just doesn't feel right these days and gets relegated to being pool bike for as and when friends need the borrow of it.

Saying all that, I recently bought a 27.5" wheeler for my youngest son who is also tall which means I can ride it. And when I have if I'm honest it does feel just right.

As an example of carrying more speed, on the few short downhill sections we have and as I hit a level section of trail again, I consistently roll further and faster on a 29er than a 26er. I noticed this day one from owning a 29er.

There is only one reason for that. You and your 29er weigh more than you and your 26er. There's no other rational reason. The flipside of that coin is that your roll consistently shorter and slower going uphill.

Kajjal

Guru
From my own experience both on XC hardtails, not unexpectedly 29er's roll better over the trail but you lose out on manoeuvrability. For my style of riding and where I ride 29ers are noticeably faster , but I have ridden my 26er recently on mountain trails with v-brakes, it was fine and made a interesting change with getting bumped around more but being able to make very quick , sharp movements.

ChrisEyles

Guru
There is only one reason for that. You and your 29er weigh more than you and your 26er. There's no other rational reason. The flipside of that coin is that your roll consistently shorter and slower going uphill.

Is that entirely true? If you had teeny tiny 2.6" wheels you'd get stopped dead by every little bump on the trail, whereas a massive tractor wheel wouldn't even "see" the bumps. Even with the same amount of momentum (rider + bike weight at a given speed), the angle of attack of a bigger wheel is going to be shallower, so more of the bike/rider momentum keeps going in the forward direction when travelling over a bump, rather than being diverted upwards. Granted the difference between 26" and 29" is not enormous, but I'm pretty sure the theory is sound, and I'm also pretty sure I've felt this in practice, when riding identical sections of trail on my rigid 26" and on a borrowed 29" hardtail with the forks locked out.

The statement "29er roll better" does seem in general to be true to me (still don't get on with them though!).

DRM

Guru
What we sometimes forget is that a lot of people enjoy reading fiction, I used to like a bit of John Grisham, or even Nick Spalding.
Yes but you realised that those publications started "Once upon a time" ;) I realised a while back that a lot of magazines are terrified of upsetting the advertisers, so print whatever rubbish the manufacturers ask them to, for fear of losing advertising revenue, they also rehash the same old topics & articles over time, anyway theres nothing wrong with 29er's, 27.5" or 26" you just need to ride what you've got, who knows what the next big thing will be, but you can guarantee the mags will have you believing you can't live without it.

Top Bottom