is the MTB future 29" or 27.5"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I stopped reading them after MBR, who spent years vehemently deriding 29'ers, switched almost overnight to championing them.

No explanation or rationale was given, and I could only conclude that they were concerned about alienating their advertisers. In no level could that be seen as subjective or authoritative.

screenman

Legendary Member
I stopped reading them after MBR, who spent years vehemently deriding 29'ers, switched almost overnight to championing them.

No explanation or rationale was given, and I could only conclude that they were concerned about alienating their advertisers. In no level could that be seen as subjective or authoritative.

Maybe they saw the light^_^

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I tend towards thinking that the wheel size is mostly marketing folks (mfers as I like to call them) creating a need for people to carry on buying stuff. And there's nothing wrong in that!

I'm not very tall, so I'm fine with 26 wheels -and at the moment, I can easily buy stuff for them as well, so no problems there. If and when 26 stuff stops being manufactured, I'll worry then, and buy a new bike if necessary. But honestly, I really don't care if it's shown a 29/27.5/26 (choose whichever!) is 10 seconds faster over a one mile course as i. I'm not racing, ii. even if I'm with friends they'll stop for me anyway, iii. it's not like I'm doing crazy stuff, and iv. I'm out to enjoy the ride, not improve by 10 seconds every mile. And let's face it: pro mtb races have been held with 26 wheels anyway, its not like they've been shown to be severely lacking for the job or something.

However, I think different wheel sizes are great -buy whichever option suits you. I'm just hoping everyone ditches the 26 so I can buy great stuff cheap :smile: If you can, just be confident within yourself with your choices and enjoy riding -isn't that is what it is about, not a wheel size?

I went for a 27.5 purely because it was the best value of the options I had. One of my rides ends in a 5.5 mile climb on smooth Trans Pennine Trail and it's definitely easier on me tired old legs.

Magazines will follow fads. My bike was panned for not having 'plus size' tyres and not having rear suspension. Definitely the reviewer spitting the dummy!
The spec that wipes the floor with others at the same price point was ignored.

You're like me. I've currently 3x26's, sold my 29 and now have a Pace 27.5, and I'm buggered if I can find any difference in any area of performance that can be attributed to wheel size.

I did notice that, like for like, 29" hoops are more flexi, sometimes disconcertingly so, at least for a heavy lard-O like me, and the weight of mud they carry makes them ill suited for many British conditions. A convert I was not.

The experiences of off road motorcycles show that a large front wheel is no impediment to agility - just look at Dougie Lumpkin - which suggests other aspects of geometry, wheelbase etc are more important than wheel size when going down a nadgery route.

Marketing guff, trying to create and sustain a trend that can be exploited for commercial gain, and too many people in our consumer centred society are gullible enough to keep feeding the machine.

Shows yer Pace !!!!!

wahoofish

Interesting to read this thread and to reflect on a few points that, in my mind anyway, are pretty clear facts.

Fact One - 26,ers are not better for downhill, uphill or flats. How many XC Or XCM competitors still ride them? And before anybody spews the nonsense about the pro's being sponsored, go and look at any big XCM event and see how many of the top 50% of the field are riding 26 inch wheels. I have witnessed in instant improvement in performance in many riders when upgrading to a 29'er, especially on long straights and technical up-hills. They are also great with the windy, technical stuff, but this does require a change in riding style. Also, worth reading about the Santa Cruz downhill riders who are using 29'ers for the World Cup this year because, even through they don't feel as fast, the times indicate that they are much faster.

Fact Two - Dropper posts, for a significant portion of mountain bikers (not towpath and blue route riders, but everyone else), offer a huge benefit. To be fair, no more than stopping and manually dropping your saddle before a steep technical section, but from a convenience and speed aspect, certainly they do.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'd agree with @wahoofish from my limited experience... but what sticks out for me is the "29ers don't feel as fast" comment, which I think is absolutely true. Great for racers, obviously, but for messing around on the trails I think perceived speed is more important than actual speed, and my 26ers "feel" faster to me than the various 29ers I've ridden.

Certainly hope the 26 inch wheel has a future as I've very recently bought a 26 inch wheel expedition tourer. I tend to think I'll be OK. Recently rode it Birmingham to London - fast enough and its wheels and big (for me) tyres were much appreciated on some dodgy downhill country lanes, cross country tracks and canal towpaths

Lozi

I'm really hoping 26" makes a comeback as that is a mountain bike to me, when I see a 29" this is what I see..

IMG_0950.JPG

Whoops old thread :addict:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[QUOTE 5069561, member: 43827"]I'm just 5'8" tall and when I ride a 29er mtb with big tyres on it I look just like a little kid who's borrowed his older brother's bike.[/QUOTE]
I have decided to stick with my stock wheels, for the few seconds i may save on my commute it isnt worth the hassle.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5069561, member: 43827"]I'm just 5'8" tall and when I ride a 29er mtb with big tyres on it I look just like a little kid who's borrowed his older brother's bike.[/QUOTE]

Taller than me, and do I care what I look like when I am having fun, no not at all.

Top Bottom