Is the pandemic cycling craze here to stay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Round here it finished a long time ago.
Lockdown cyclists disappeared as soon as the weather turned the least bit inclement - early September. Motorists are back to their aggressive behaviour, and jog joggers are still running down the middle of the road rather than using the footpaths wearing headphones blocking out all road noise, and expecting everyone to move out of the way for them.

Nope, the cycling boom is gone, and will not come back other than to a very small extent. Once everyone can go shopping, to the pub, on holiday, to visitor attractions the car will resume its traditional place as the preferred means of transport for the masses - and get off the road you cyclists; you never pay road tax! Borislies' health and exercise regime will disappear into Room 101 along with his personal trainer, who has been there some time.

dodgy

There certainly was a boom here for a few months, like has already been said, as soon as the weather became less than absolutely perfect, they disappeared. I was out for 30miles yesterday and don't think I saw a single cyclist out!

SGG on a bike

It tailed off here in Lowestoft quite quickly, but I think it may have been more to do with people getting back to work and not making time. It certainly seemed to coincide with roads becoming more busy.

We've just got back from a ride this morning, albeit a short one just for some fresh air and there were a fair number of cyclists out and about. More than I expected to see perhaps. The roads were quiet again like during the first lockdown which was nice.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I ordered a bike a couple weeks ago that I won't get until the middle of March. There could be supply issues there but it seems mostly workshop related - they can't build bikes quick enough.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The cycling boom appears to be very much a middle aged, middle class fashion trend. Rather like the motorcycle boom of the nineties, expensive high end performance machines bought because it is the thing to do at the moment if you want to keep up.

When I see the roads and bike racks full of practical bikes with mudguards, lights and panniers then I'll believe cycling has caught on as a means of transport.

Big John

Guru
Saw quite a few out on bikes during the first lockdown but as time's gone on I'm pretty sure there aren't the numbers there any more. I was out today and only saw the hardy souls I usually see on my regular Sunday rides. However, there are still a lot out walking the lanes so it's not all bad. They may get their bikes out again come Spring but walking's not a bad form of exercise, eh?

Round here it finished a long time ago.
Lockdown cyclists disappeared as soon as the weather turned the least bit inclement - early September. Motorists are back to their aggressive behaviour, and jog joggers are still running down the middle of the road rather than using the footpaths wearing headphones blocking out all road noise, and expecting everyone to move out of the way for them.

Nope, the cycling boom is gone, and will not come back other than to a very small extent. Once everyone can go shopping, to the pub, on holiday, to visitor attractions the car will resume its traditional place as the preferred means of transport for the masses - and get off the road you cyclists; you never pay road tax! Borislies' health and exercise regime will disappear into Room 101 along with his personal trainer, who has been there some time.
Keep up that positivity👍

Seen plenty out here today, outnumbering the Cyclewankers.
Sportsbikes are the least purchased machine in the UK now. High insurance, outrageous performance and lack of places to ride are seeing them decline more. Head down arse up with a chiropractor needed at journeys end to straighten you out is lacking appeal on the atrocious uk roads.Adventure bikes top the sales polls which is the equivalent of the Bikepacking/touring cycle self-gratification artists :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
However you look at it, cycling is on the rise, whether it’s bomb-dodgers, pandemic pedalers, wannabe racers, or ebikers.
Every little boom creates full-time cyclists.
The weather and darkness have probably put people off at the moment, but many will return.
It’s all good....

Top Bottom