Is there a bike to support my weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Thanks guys :biggrin: so the carera subway as it is would be ok? I wouldn't have to change wheels etc? I'd get 25% haha :biggrin:
I have had my subway for nearly 5 years and it's been great.
Mines now heavy as I have bag light etc all over it for winter day rides but I use it for slow enjoyable rides not fast quick rides so works well
Mine has 26inchnwheeels which I guess are stronger than 700s which will help, I'm 17 1/2 stone and don't go easy on my bikes and only had a few broke spokes in all that time so I wouldn't worry

david k

Hi
Me again, sorry. Whats difference between subway 1 and 2? Is the upgrade worth the extra money?

Also i really like the giant yukon, are there any like that i could get?
I have the two, normally disk brakes and slighter better gear set

Tom B

Guru
I have the two, normally disk brakes and slighter better gear set

At work we started off with the base spec, and have gradually replaced parts with better things as need be. (we are all about cost effectivness, safety and durability)
The first thing that we wore out was the chainwheels (big cog at front) replaced with chain and cassette and pedals as they seemed to be made from cheese and we munched them in about 6 months, this was followed by freehub (the bit that lets you freewheel without you having to keep pedalling) and the grips were crap and fell apart within weeks (replaced under warranty). A couple are now running shimano 615 disk brakes after the original tekros were damaged by vandalism/riders running the pads down that much the pad backing and piston was ejected. Both brakes do the same job the shimano have a bit more feel.

Personally I'd stick with what you have and just carefully consider what you replace with as you wear stuff out....

Now you have a bike,,,, clean, lube, clean and lube.... Grit in your drivechain is your enemy. (Dont jet wash)

If you are mainly staying on the road you may wish to change the tyres to something more free running, the tractor tyres fitted as standard are good for muddy trails, but on the towpath, light gravel and made roads they will sap your speed and energy.
We run Schwalbe LandCrusier - these have domed profile and a pretty speedy on the road, but also have some tread that can bite in when the going gets soft.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3594&p=907601&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Hybrid & City Tyres&gclid=CjwKEAjwueytBRCmpOyZ2L-xrG8SJADwH5c6V77wjErLWMGHeeOOl6bn1qAQNFqYhqsMrjm0G5TqBxoCQ-rw_wcB

You could also consider the marathon plus which i use on my commuter and run along toepaths and cycletracks as well as the road.
http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.a...1bwuhit1vyqnossaojeko-3n9matuglks7rocrkvw_wcb

Landcrusiers are about £12 each at my LBS and marthons about £20.

At this point in your cycle career spending £30 on tyres will make a bigger difference IMX than spending squillions on other parts.

OP
OP
Ribean

Ribean

Regular
Guys: he bought a Voodoo.
lol

Im jus wondering.. I asked the guy which frame Size he thought (im 5'11) he said the 18" cos the bike has 29" wheels but ive just looked online and it say for my height is be better with a 22"? :/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can't really help with the sizing other than to say what is your leg length? And you don't want to be stretched out if you want to take the bike to Leigh Woods in the future.

Pop into a bike shop or library and they should have the Council's free cycling maps which will show you lots of potential routes including where there are off road cycle paths. The maps can also be ordered online from the council, and depending which side of Bristol you are you might want to get the neighbouring authorities one too, there are 4 maps in total.

david k

Hi
lol

Im jus wondering.. I asked the guy which frame Size he thought (im 5'11) he said the 18" cos the bike has 29" wheels but ive just looked online and it say for my height is be better with a 22"? :/
Think 18 is the medium and fits my son well, he is now 6 foot and still only 12, so well built for his future in rugby league lol
I think the medium would be fine but I'd go and try them.

OP
OP
Ribean

Ribean

Regular
Think 18 is the medium and fits my son well, he is now 6 foot and still only 12, so well built for his future in rugby league lol
I think the medium would be fine but I'd go and try them.

I reckon it should be ok after looking abit more in detail last night. I'm going to see when i pick it up, if it don't feel right ill tell em and get them to order me a bigger one lol

OP
OP
Ribean

Ribean

Regular
Got him! One issue i have is tbe seat keeps slipping backwards! :sad: feel like givin up already its done tight but m too heavy

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Got him! One issue i have is tbe seat keeps slipping backwards! :sad: feel like givin up already its done tight but m too heavy
I have problems doing mine up tight enough and end up getting someone else to tighten the bolts! Even complete strangers.

OP
OP
Ribean

Ribean

Regular
Ive done it as tight as i can and its still happening :sad: feeling really disheartened. Im a strong guy it's really tight

Top Bottom