Is there a drill to practice getting out of cleats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agree on the unclipping away from traffic. You don't want to fall into the road.

Can't recall ever having a Car suddenly pull out and forcing me to put a foot down ? That would mean you've stopped completely ?

Gixxerman

Guru
Just fall, after that you'll never do it again, it worked for me :cry:
For added impetus, make sure you have a large audience such as in the high streeet or outside a school at leaving time. :blush:

Your brain can get overloaded if too many things are happening at once. Under normal conditions, you slow down towards the junction, unclip left and ease your foot down.
Or a car does a close pass, you have to avoid a slippery drain cover, a pothole and a workmans cable across the road, then a woman with a pram launches her child into the road. Your brain forgets to tell your foot to unclip. With lots of experience and practice your foot may remember on its own.
One advantage of lose toe clips is that no matter how unbalaced, I could extract my foot during a fall.

For an unclip drill, I would find some soft grass with a slight slope. Tip sideways down the slope and see how easily you can unclip en route to horizontal.

I'm merely saying that my routine is to click out the pedal before I get to a junction where I'm likely to stop.

Doing too many things at once is probably the OPs downfall. Braking, checking, stopping, unclipping.

You need to unclip before you stop as you then have no time to unclip.

As I said it's worked for me for over 30 years.

I've not got a routine for unclipping when hit by a car.

Blimey. That's some driving. And being so confident that it was the other driver to blame !

Top Bottom