Is there a more expensive sausage roll out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Went for a walk yesterday that took in Sizergh Castle (SE Lakes) whose cafe was open.

Sausage roll price - a whopping £3.50 for a scratty little thing that was about 20% smaller than a Greggs standard issue £1 sausage roll.

Didn't buy one and also passed on the £4.50 cornish pastie.

Has a more expensive SR been spotted in your travels?

Went for a walk yesterday that took in Sizergh Castle (SE Lakes) whose cafe was open.

Sausage roll price - a whopping £3.50 for a scratty little thing that was about 20% smaller than a Greggs standard issue £1 sausage roll.

I think you have uncovered a sausage rolls royce, thats crazy money :wacko:
Mind you a small chicken pie from my deli the other day was 4 quid... but worth it.

D

Deleted member 23692

No sure of the exact price but I'd expect the pretentious and overrated Tebay Services are close on price, if not more.

Dave7

Legendary Member

:eek:
One assumes some people will pay that.
Imagine....
2 adults
2 kids
4 sausage rolls plus 4 drinks. That is serious money.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've not seen the price of sausage rolls but in a train station a cornish pasty was £6.00 at one of those stalls that just sells pasties. I would rather starve than pay that. I always take a pack up when going out for the day etc to avoid being stung like this.

Tribansman

Veteran
Think I got rinsed for at least a fiver in an horrendously twee, up itself, organic National Trust cafe for a veggie sausage role (spinach, kale, nuts, pesto, etc) before covid, the only hot food they had left on a freezing day. Vowed to remember to take packups if visiting national trust sites again!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If your outside and need to get something then just go into Greggs or the supermarket.Often the supermarket security guard will look after your bike too if you dont have a lock etc.

Tribansman

Veteran
I'm all for the NT upping the price for quality grub in the warm and on a plate, to put off the grumbling riff-raff happy to eat on the street out of a paper bag!
What I had wasn't particularly high quality - dry, saltier than the sea - and when I say cafe, it was a shack in the woods (and outdoor benches only)! Reckon they chose a 'what these mugs'll pay' price point.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The warning signs are, hand crafted, organic, hand made, from only natural ingredients, home made. The last one is particularly amusing as only food you make at home is home made.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
As someone who walks with SWMBO and 2 kids (teenagers, and hungry ones at that), always take packed lunches. The only exception generally is a pub lunch as it seems the right thing to do when being in a touristy area like the Lakes.

mikeIow

Guru
No sure of the exact price but I'd expect the pretentious and overrated Tebay Services are close on price, if not more.
Overrated?

I’ll disagree: far and away the loveliest services on our motorway network. maybe that makes me pretentious :wacko:
Food is all local and delicious. Expensive? Maybe a bit, but all services are overpriced....you can take your own packup and sit by their little lake if you prefer!

Cafe Ventoux In Leicestershire brought out a tray of fresh sausage rolls the last time we dropped in a week or two back: they were truly massive, & utterly delicious...can’t recall the price (big cake plus coffee with it totalled £9 - a full meal, had to take the cake home!) but highly recommended!

Top Bottom