Is there a SCP section on every Chat forum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ansome

I had an interesting read through some threads on the Society, Culture and Politics section this morning, some descend into personal insults and squabbling but there are many thought provoking and interesting things in there, certainly more so than in the typical comments section of many news organisations.

I just have a question as to why it exists in CC?

The section only suddenly appeared to me when I had been a member here for a while and I wondered if Cyclists were the only people with interesting and valid opinions to share or if, for example I joined the Cooking forum or took up growing things or bought a dog, whether they too have this section appear to them after a while?

Then I thought, if there is one on each then they could do with a separate one to save duplication of discussions... and then again if there isn't and there's only one in the CycleChat forum, why do only cyclists have any points of view to debate? If I was just a Photo enthusiast for example I might not ever find it.

So I guess that boils down to... shouldn't that section of this forum, if it's unique to this one, actually be unique in itself. ie be a separate special interest forum called 'Debates' or something?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I just have a question as to why it exists in CC?

To confine the hyperbole and squandering of electrons on character assassination to a dark corner where the more rational minded folk don't wander too often.

duty_calls.png

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The section only suddenly appeared to me when I had been a member here for a while and I wondered if Cyclists were the only people with interesting and valid opinions to share or if, for example I joined the Cooking forum or took up growing things or bought a dog, whether they too have this section appear to them after a while?

If only that lot in there ever did any cycling. It might calm a few of them down a bit.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
@vernon's got it.
The cafe is for light-hearted non-cycling chat. SC&P can get very heavy - in terms of the types of subject being discussed, and the way in which they are discussed. I think Shaun blocks it from guests and new members so as not to put them off CycleChat!

And as to why only CycleChat - it has the most members of all of Shauns forums by a looooooooooooooooooong way!

OP
OP
Ansome

Ansome

There are many places to go for squandering electrons and fighting a position and descending into Infernos... I get that. And if you don't like it, ignore it etc...The point is really I suppose in a world of freely available opportunities for espousing your views on many subjects elsewhere shouldn't the CC forum be as relevant to it's title as all the others?
Oh well.. I'll go back to my book.

OP
OP
Ansome

Ansome

I think Shaun blocks it from guests and new members so as not to put them off CycleChat!
Enough said there then! If you (or I as a newish member) might have been put off by it being there then as Mr Myagi says about the best way to avoid being hit in Karate Kid..'Don't be there..' (He doesn't go on to say 'but I'll sneak you in later..')

Brandane

Legendary Member
To confine the hyperbole and squandering of electrons on character assassination to a dark corner where the more rational minded folk don't wander too often.

^^^^^ This. I wish the once very active motorcycle forum I used to post on had a similar board. Instead, all the SCP types invaded the "general" board, which eventually led to it's almost self destruction.
Last time I looked, there were still a few members slugging it out, with another few bravely trying to discuss motorbike related topics.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's to stop people who are afraid of thinking from complaining that their forum is being clogged up with challenging opinions.

I've had the immense privilege and joy of cycling (and drinking) with many of the SCP regulars. They're quite handy on two wheels as well as on brain cells.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
^^^^ you'd never know their 2 wheeled prowess from their utter failure to contribute to any cycling related topic. Its the 6th form debating society where a hardcore think they are some sort of political heavyweight, they can throw their weight around amongst cycling types and get away with it where they'd get torn to shreds on a proper political forum. As @Brandane observes, better they stay in one safe place than wander freely disrupting threads on the rest of the board.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Odd, isn't it, that people are so ready to be rude about those of us who like to discuss things other than cycling sometimes with our friends. Do those of you who actually cycle together in real life (if you do) spend the whole ride talking about purely bike-related topics? If you're going to talk glibly about 'character assassination' @vernon, look no further than @shouldbeinbed's ^^^ fun and friendly contribution to this lighthearted Café discussion.

Once upon a time I was humorously scornful of the Tea thread drivel that sees a post of 'Good morning Tealandia folk' get half a dozen likes - I got a Mod warning for it. When the boot is on the other foot here, a Mod wades in in support of the OP. Hmmmm. Anyway thanks @User14044 for your levelheaded input. @srw has it right:

I'm not sure a mild piss take of another bit of the forum is worth taking that seriously to be honest!

Top Bottom