Is there a stupid signpost thread on this site?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
See if you can work out the difference between what they want this sign to mean, and what it actually means.
20140802_123924.jpg

Ignore the no entry sign, that's for cars using the car park. It's the one above it that I'm interested in.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
See if you can work out the difference between what they want this sign to mean, and what it actually means.
View attachment 52290
Ignore the no entry sign, that's for cars using the car park. It's the one above it that I'm interested in.
Err I can only assume it would mean either no cycling in front of pedestrians or pedestrians must not go behind cyclists. Or last guess no picking the pocket of cyclists or no groping cyclists?:whistle:

Were they trying to say pedestrians have priority over cyclists? Using the other bits of wording nearby!

up hill struggle

when i look at the sign i can only see a sly dig at cyclist for being uncourteous towards others in the area.

if thats the case its abit unfair for the council that put the sign up as it is hinting that all cyclist are uncourteous, fair enough some ive came across would prefer to pass that close to me while on foot that i swear i can smell there aftershave of my own clothes but that's only a minority, the vast majority of cyclists ive came across on foot & while riding are more than courteous towards others.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Err I can only assume it would mean either no cycling in front of pedestrians or pedestrians must not go behind cyclists. Or last guess no picking the pocket of cyclists or no groping cyclists?:whistle:

Were they trying to say pedestrians have priority over cyclists? Using the other bits of wording nearby!

when i look at the sign i can only see a sly dig at cyclist for being uncourteous towards others in the area.

if thats the case its abit unfair for the council that put the sign up as it is hinting that all cyclist are uncourteous, fair enough some ive came across would prefer to pass that close to me while on foot that i swear i can smell there aftershave of my own clothes but that's only a minority, the vast majority of cyclists ive came across on foot & while riding are more than courteous towards others.

It's not a council sign, it was put up by the university. It is trying to say that both cyclists and pedestrians may use the concourse area and that neither have priority so please lets all watch out and be courteous to each other.

What it actually says imo is "cyclists and pedestrians prohibited"

So the intent is good, but the signage is less than clear.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's not a council sign, it was put up by the university. It is trying to say that both cyclists and pedestrians may use the concourse area and that neither have priority so please lets all watch out and be courteous to each other.

What it actually says imo is "cyclists and pedestrians prohibited"

So the intent is good, but the signage is less than clear.
See I know both those signs so for me I have to turn it into some kind of interaction between the two, in the same way you get no overtaking. Mind you I get annoyed at the local pedestrian centre which shows the No Cycling sign with a diagonal bar across it. So that reads as No No Cycling to me!:wacko:

Top Bottom