Is There A Sudden Fad for Classic Cars Amongst The Membership?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru

There ya go you poor thing :laugh:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've toyed with the idea of buying a 90's Japanese sports car. I think this is when cars were a lot better built and mechanically bullet-proof, Japanese ones definitely. They are already going up in price. Be a pretty cool weekend car, as modern cars are pretty bland. Just finding a good one that isn't rusty and doesn't cost a bomb. The Mk2 MR2 is a good one, not the best to drive (unless a turbo import), or a Mk 1 MX5 (finding an un-rusty one..). I've always wanted a car with pop-up headlights. This is never going to happen with newer cars due to pedestrian safety.

There are other 90's cars that I would like that are going up in price pretty rapid though. Nissan 200SX (S13 & S14a), Honda S2000, Mazda RX7 FD (so pretty), Honda CRX Mk2 VTI, Honda Integra DC2 Type R (UK spec). The DC2 is a complete blast, my brother had one..

I often see a Ford Probe near where my mother lives. I believe that this is based on a Mazda, I used to think they looked really boring back in the 90's, but the blandness/sameness of modern cars makes me think it looks pretty cool now..

I've always liked looking at them but wouldn't fancy owning one.

These are my sentiments, but what I've mentioned above possibly dispels it, as 90's cars weren't unreliable on the whole, safer, well built, but still cool..

Has anybody any other ideas about cars that may become classics?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've toyed with the idea of buying a 90's Japanese sports car. I think this is when cars were a lot better built and mechanically bullet-proof, Japanese ones definitely. They are already going up in price. Be a pretty cool weekend car, as modern cars are pretty bland. Just finding a good one that isn't rusty and doesn't cost a bomb. The Mk2 MR2 is a good one, not the best to drive (unless a turbo import), or a Mk 1 MX5 (finding an un-rusty one..). I've always wanted a car with pop-up headlights. This is never going to happen with newer cars due to pedestrian safety.

There are other 90's cars that I would like that are going up in price pretty rapid though. Nissan 200SX (S13 & S14a), Honda S2000, Mazda RX7 FD (so pretty), Honda CRX Mk2 VTI, Honda Integra DC2 Type R (UK spec). The DC2 is a complete blast, my brother had one..

I often see a Ford Probe near where my mother lives. I believe that this is based on a Mazda, I used to think they looked really boring back in the 90's, but the blandness/sameness of modern cars makes me think it looks pretty cool now..

These are my sentiments, but what I've mentioned above possibly dispels it, as 90's cars weren't unreliable on the whole, safer, well built, but still cool..

Has anybody any other ideas about cars that may become classics?

I had a 200SX. Lethal.. But fun.
Do not buy a Probe... No

Salar

A fish out of water
Honda CRX Mk2 VTI,

Here's our old Honda CRX VTEC. Also had a Prelude 2.2VTEC, the curvy one and a 3.0 V6 VTEC Accord.

The roof was a manual lift off and store in the boot job, never leaked though, but rust got to the cars rear end.

crx.jpg

Out of the three it was the Prelude I liked, but try finding a rust free one these days.

Do not even think about buying a Probe!!

A mate of mine had a TR7.

1975-triumph-tr7.jpg

and my sister had a boyfriend who had an Opel Mantra.

Opel-Manta-i200-Seitenansicht-fotoshowBigImage-556db813-894628.jpg

woodbutcher

Veteran
Sorry WB, its unfortunate that my post immediately followed yours... it wasn't intended as a comment on your lovely Beetle... just on my old 1200 heap which I had to scrap in 1980 because I didn't have any money left to run it.
No worries l am not that sensitive (at least thats what my partner tells me) come to think of it she's a Swede ...what does she know ^_^

Proto

Legendary Member
Now thinking what to so with my Audi TT QS. Supposedly an appreciating asset, although I'm not convinced.

Last of the Mk1 model - lighter, no rear seats, a bit more power, special Recaro racing seats**, special bigger wheels, two tone paint. Make me an offer!!

** Recaro are so useless for daily use I've taken them out and fitted some from a Mk1 S-Line TT. Some TT enthusiast offered me £1500 for the Recaros!
IMG_0204.JPG

Top Bottom