Is There A Sudden Fad for Classic Cars Amongst The Membership?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
What l would say about the handling is "be Brave" never lift your foot off the gas into a corner or it will be your last !
Reason being that over 50% of the cars total weight is behind the rear axle. and swapping ends comes easy !! After all they were called "widow makers"
among the 1980's yuppies .
Other than that l agree and ho how l wish l still had mine :whistle:

A friend of mine ‘reversed’ his 964 into a lamppost at speed, having ‘blinked’ when leaving a roundabout enthusiastically . I think it was written off. He replaced it with a 964 RSR Cup, and made serious money when sold it a few years later.

I knew a fellow, now sadly deceased, who rebuilt 911s for a living, and used to do Autofarms body and paint work. He always tried to steer me away from them. Thus my ‘heroes’ comment.

He was rebuilding his 1967(?) 911S SWB (his pension fund, as he called it) when he sadly died.

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I had a 200SX. Lethal.. But fun.
Do not buy a Probe... No

Yes I had an S14a 200SX in Damson metallic. Loved that car, great car if treated with repect.

Here's our old Honda CRX VTEC. Also had a Prelude 2.2VTEC, the curvy one and a 3.0 V6 VTEC Accord.

The roof was a manual lift off and store in the boot job, never leaked though, but rust got to the cars rear end.

View attachment 458217

Out of the three it was the Prelude I liked, but try finding a rust free one these days.

Do not even think about buying a Probe!!

Nice Del Sol, or is that what the import was called, or were the two seaters all imports. Those cars used to be everywhere, hardly any now. I was thinking of the 3 door hatch, I always wanted one but they were too expensive, so I had an older Astra GTE, bet the CRX was way better though. I like the Prelude too, and the Accord, especially the Type R, that was a cool motor. looking on google images the CRX Del Sol probably looks better, still like these though.

8050386230_b27de7e4d6_b.jpg

This is the CRX I was thinking of, but I do like the two seater and its obviously a convertible.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've toyed with the idea of buying a 90's Japanese sports car. I think this is when cars were a lot better built and mechanically bullet-proof, Japanese ones definitely. They are already going up in price. Be a pretty cool weekend car, as modern cars are pretty bland. Just finding a good one that isn't rusty and doesn't cost a bomb. The Mk2 MR2 is a good one, not the best to drive (unless a turbo import), or a Mk 1 MX5 (finding an un-rusty one..). I've always wanted a car with pop-up headlights. This is never going to happen with newer cars due to pedestrian safety.

There are other 90's cars that I would like that are going up in price pretty rapid though. Nissan 200SX (S13 & S14a), Honda S2000, Mazda RX7 FD (so pretty), Honda CRX Mk2 VTI, Honda Integra DC2 Type R (UK spec). The DC2 is a complete blast, my brother had one..

I often see a Ford Probe near where my mother lives. I believe that this is based on a Mazda, I used to think they looked really boring back in the 90's, but the blandness/sameness of modern cars makes me think it looks pretty cool now..

These are my sentiments, but what I've mentioned above possibly dispels it, as 90's cars weren't unreliable on the whole, safer, well built, but still cool..

Has anybody any other ideas about cars that may become classics?
Yep the Pug 205 GTI, my ex had the 1.4 (1360cc) and that was quick and handled well, but what the 1.9 was like :eek:

Salar

A fish out of water
Yes, they used to call them Del Sol, some didn't have the VTEC engine though. My prelude was an import.

About fifteen years ago we needed a big load carrier , so we went for something different.

A 1980 Volvo 245, similar to the one below. It had belonged to a classic car enthusiast and had also been used as a show piece in a garage, it was huge.

One night we got slightly boxed in at a hotel car park. I knew the hotel owner who was an HGV driver so I got him to reverse it out. :blush:

volvo-240.jpg

MarkF

Guru
I have a 1962 Vespa Gran Lusso and a 1992 MX5, both are very simple vehicles that look good (important), cost peanuts to run and are appreciating in value. Why would l run a modern vehicle? I do actually but it gets no attention, from me or anybody...

Soon, the 40 year exempt from MOT rule will make well engineered things like 1980's Audi 80's & many Volvos & Mercs super attractive. Buy now!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes, they used to call them Del Sol, some didn't have the VTEC engine though. My prelude was an import.

About fifteen years ago we needed a big load carrier , so we went for something different.

A 1980 Volvo 245, similar to the one below. It had belonged to a classic car enthusiast and had also been used as a show piece in a garage, it was huge.

One night we got slightly boxed in at a hotel car park. I knew the hotel owner who was an HGV driver so I got him to reverse it out. :blush:

View attachment 458238

Impossible to get blocked in with one of those tanks.. Tough as they come

Salar

A fish out of water
/\ Yes, just push everything out of the way. One thing I remember about it is how well it drove in the snow.

Top Bottom